• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

competition kata/self defence kata

aefibird

Hey, I've made up kata, and I've modified kata. Hasn't made me ineffective, but it has given me more freedom to express myself in the martial ART.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're on, Mart. Most people I know practice Kata for the sake of practicing kata, and not because they are imagining themselves actually hitting people with all their might. I remember the days where my joints would get sore because of the way I snap-locked my techniques in place - but with time not only did my technique improve, but so did the integrity of my joints (good for future years).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Nothing wrong with playing with kata IMO espically for the purpose of turnments. However if you are going to TEACH I think you must have a set guidline and the kata should be taught as spelled out in your org. In Shotokan's case by Gichin Funakoshi in Karato Do Kyohan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

i shocked!! kata was made up years before any of ye were born by people who were forced 2 use it and used it well.When were any of ye who say its rubbish in that situation everyday.changing the subject now i tink sochin is strong and looks good in deep stance. chinte feels great 4 girls.

Impossible is not a fact, It's an opinion!

Shotokan-Nidan

Yes but i dont see a need to hold onto something only because its old. If they were still alive i bet they would have changed those Katas by now, adapted them. Think about it.

Seize the day!

Yes but i dont see a need to hold onto something only because its old. If they were still alive i bet they would have changed those Katas by now, adapted them. Think about it.

Not necessarily. They might have changed them... they might not have. We don't know. As long as practicing traditional kata works for someone, then fine. If tinkering and adapting kata works for someone else, then fine. There's enough room in karate and martial arts for both sets of people.

Personally, I'm a bit of both. I love practicing and working on traditional kata, especially when done at 'full speed' as if there was an opponent there. However, I also like creating my own kata or mini sequences of movements. I believe that it helps me to think about how movements naturally fit together and that it encourages me to think for myself and not just rely on what my sensei or other instructors have to say.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Aefi I agree with you completely. My point is to not be closed to the idea of developing your own, certainly not substituting one for the other.

Seize the day!

If you change the kata then you lose the meaning and the point they were teaching. IMO each kata in your given style teaches you something.

Shotokan

Gankanku - balance

Empi - in and out shifting

Tekki's - ground def

If i change the kata then i may lose something that the founders put into my style thus making my style incomplete.

You also lose you style. We have to have a base kata so i can say he is shotokan or she is tkd or they are tsd etc.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."