• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

competition kata/self defence kata

aefibird

Which kata do you think would be the best for performing in a competition setting and why?

Which kata do you think has the most realistic or reasonable self-defence bunkai in it and why?

I go with Unsu for performing, as that kata always looks great, especially when done really well and I'd probably pick Kanku Dai for self defence application, as it has a bit of everything in there.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self-Defense - Ill go with Hangetsu block and counter combos in a more upright stance, also has some grasping moves and 3 strike combos at the end.

For Show - Agreed Unsa is very nice. Kanku Sho has 2 nice jumps in it as well that can catch judges eyes. Both the Gojushisho kata also are pretty differant. I think with tourment you need something people have not seen before.

Best for Both - Sochin - Block punch/ strike moves, Stance shifiting and just differant enough to make people say wow.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Id agree with Kanku-dai as a self-defence kata, probably suggest enpi for show. that kata can look very impressive.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

For competition kata, I usually do Seinchin and Matsumara Rohai....nice balance of slow and fast movements. For practical katas, i have found that Nipaipo has been excellent for the Bunkai we have learned.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

I would say seiunchin for both because it looks awesome from the begininning but has a mountain of oyu in it some of the best of goju, in my humble opinion.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

:-? Why don't u guys just make up your own katas? Thats why I quit karate, the katas had no relation to actual sparring or fighting. Are there more realistic Katas out there? Is anybody using actual street experience to come up with new Katas? :idea:

Donkey

:-? Why don't u guys just make up your own katas? Thats why I quit karate, the katas had no relation to actual sparring or fighting. Are there more realistic Katas out there? Is anybody using actual street experience to come up with new Katas? :idea:

I'm shocked, you cant change or update katas. You have to continue to pull bunkai out of any plausible movement. Even if it doesnt even mimic the actual movements in the kata.