• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm thinking of getting my instructor to help me set up an exhibition bout to fight sometime before or during to summer. It would have to about a hundred miles away in the big cities cuz there is no viable competitiors around here.

What do you suggest I do as the first steps to getting some time in the ring?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have no access to "kickboxing" training, per say. My style is extremely adaptive to many things, and already stresses alot of kickboxing techniques that you are probably thinking:

1. Jabs, crosses, other boxing style punches.

2. Roundhouse, front, and a stresses a side kick that's both fast and in good form.

We may not be very good at bobbing or weaving, but that's because good sparring partners are scarce, and there is no kickboxing gym within a hunderd miles. I'm trying to break this rut that I'm in being in this armpit of a town. I'm trying to broaden my horizons in the martial arts, and I'm thinking that it can only be acheived by taking the plunge like this.

I now have access to a weight room that my highschool recently opened for students to lift in the mornings for free. I'm already in pretty good shape, but could just use a little more muscle.

I'm not really concerned about the rules just as long as I can prepare for them to some degree (hard to do with few equals, but my instructor seems open to the situation). Pain is inevitable, but submission is optional.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

no, that's not what I was referring to. the punches and kicks of american kickboxing are fairly similar to what you learned in karate, so you should be okay there. I was referring to more along the lines of footwork, ring strategy, defense, etc.

I wouldn't worry about more muscle, per se. you may bump yourself up in weight class, which may be hard on you, as you'll be absorbing shots from bigger guys. By all means, continue to lift, but not with the goal of getting any bigger right now.

I ask about the rules, because if it's a thai match, leg kicks and knees are allowed. If you're not ready for knees, they will f*ck you up. To start, I'd reccommend competing under american rules, not thai, if you have the option.

what city are you in?

Well, I do alot of point fighting, and TKD continuous sparring - I'm kinda hoping it doesn't leave me in the dark in terms of footwork. However, I'm hoping my instructor can provide a few pointers along those lines.

I've watched a few amateur kickbox matches and noticed that I should get used to fighting in a dynamic pace. If I was to throw full-contact blows at the same rate I exchange techniques I normally do, I'll probably die in the middle of the second round.

I concur with your opinions about Muay Thai rules.

has your teacher ever had any ring experience?

point and continuous fighting won't cut it... you have to have some contact training in there.

Here's a basic rountine you can try - this isn't a fight routine, just one I do to maintain. you'll have to intensify it. note that a round is 3 mins, so when I say 3 rounds, for example, that means three 3 min rounds with one min rest in between. the rest in between is "active rest" which means you will be doing something in between rounds.

3 rounds jumping rope

100 jumping jacks

run in place - 200 count

hindu squats - 50 reps

pushups - as many as possible in 1 min

stretch - 10 mins

shadow boxing - 3 rounds with 5lb wrist weights or dumbells. rest is active rest. After the first round, active rest is slipping drills. after the second round, active rest is ducking. after the third, pushups.

shadow boxing - 1 round without dumbells. active rest - hindu squats

shadow boxing - 2 round with dumbells. active rest - jumping up and down on the balls of your feet - jump as high as you can, working your calves.

skip knees - 2 rounds. active rest is footwork practice.

3 rounds jumping rope

10 mins ab work

stretch.

This should take you around 1.5 hours, and you can do it yourself. If you are with your coach, substiute some of the shadowoxing rounds with sparing and with pad drills. Add heavy bag work in there as well.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. Basically, in order to do what I want to do I'm going to have to teach myself how to handle contact (easier said than done). I don't care what I do, I'm so darn sick and tired of being limited by what I'm doing now.

I usually do alot of heavybag work on my own. However, I usually stretch as a rest break. Times that I felt kata could also give myself a break, I was met with much fatigue because I put alot of power behind my kata.

I wish my instructor could have us do pad-work in class every once in a while.

:wink: We just prepared a bunch of fighters for some matches at my Muy Thai gym. We didn't have a lot of time to get ready so we came up with an abbreviated program to get them ready quickly. So here it is!

Running: Sprints and jog (uphill) if possible 3 to 5 mile a day.

Pad work: Just as seven star said we use the 3min round and 1 minute rest technique with the music. This means a continuous 3 mins no breaks and continuous movement. Your target has to be continuosly moving so u can constantly adjust your footwork. Full power on all techniques! At least five rounds a night.

Sparring: Full contact, heavy sparring with pads to start. Then light contact movement sparring in the weeks before the fight (to avoid injury). U have to get hit to learn to deal with the pain. No other way!

Techniques: U should concentrate on your two or three favourite techniques\combos(at least three attacks continuos) and your basic jab\punch\block. Most MA's get beaten by the boxing aspect more than the kicking. Develop a good guard and footwork. Most of all footwork, footwork, footwork. If u cant move your dead.

The type of fight: DO NOT FIGHT A MUY THAI FIGHT YOUR FIRST TIME OUT! It's completely different from the type of sparring your used to in TKD or kickboxing. The low kicks, knees, elbows and clinching have to be learn't or they will result in a very unpleasant surprise for u.

Get a friend to hold pads for u and if u can't get someone to fight full contact with u, then let them hit u full power while u return light attacks. :(

Donkey

Fighters at our gym have to do 8 mile runs 3 to 4 times a week with one day with sprints rounds on pads are 5 mins with one min break or 3 mins with one min break depending on level of fighter, other than that the usual

Seize the day!

The only problem I see with 5 min rounds is pacing. a round is only three mins. when you train for a 5 min round, you pace yourself differently, because you have 2 extra minutes to fight/get tired.