• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi guys,

This is a question for all the JKD guys here. I read that Bruce Lee believed in "flowing energy", is this the same as chi in tai chi :-? And how does you train to utilise this energy?

Thanks

Gus :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
:idea: As a Bruce fanatic I believe that the Chi was just one element of his flowing energy explanation. He was basiclly one of the first guys to begin explaining these concepts to westerners and thus it may be that he was trying to simplify the concept of Chi to reach his audience. I also believe that Bruce the great innovator had encorporated many different concepts of energy and rhythm (from his study of different styles and philosophies) into his own unique tapping of inner energy. I don't study JKD but I've had inner energy training in Hapkido, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do and Muy Thai. They all have the basic concepts of breathing, meditation and core strength. As a martial artist u probably already have good 'core' strength I.E. strong abs, groin and basic all round body strength. Any good yoga class will teach good breathing and basic exercise. And most Buddhist temples will offer good meditation courses. But don't be intimidated, all these techniques are based on the simplest of concepts which are focus, relaxation and controlled breathing. :oops: hope that helps.

Donkey

:lol: Yo Gus, did u know that almost every boy in Thailand spends some time as a Monk?!! My master spent an entire year and the monks teach total focus and meditation. For the Muy Thai aspect it is mainly focus and breathing. You've probably heard the basics a hundred times, in through the nose out throught the mouth, breathe with the belly, not the Chest. Well the basic meditation is to sit in the lotus, staring at a spot on the ground about 2 feet away. Keep your body perfectly aligned. This helps to settle your bones and muscles into perfect alignnment, both of which as a Muy Thai fighter will be pretty sore and beat up. Next breath and focus on something simple and calming like water, or a candle anything which helps u relax. After u have done this for a while try making the flame of the candle do what u want, grow brighter, dimmer etc. When youve done that now try to control your heart rate, then choose a body part to move in isolation like your little toe or your left pec. etc. Why do u ask will this help in Muy Thai. Imagine being able too stay completely cool and calm in the middle of a fight, youre not winded because u don't get excited and your attacks are perfectly timed and powerful because your focus is so strong from practise. You throw perfect techniques because youre muscle control is so good because if u can twitch one muscle in your eyebrow, the bicep and leg are no problem. I'm not close to being this good yet but I've seen people who are and it's almost Jedi freaky. It also helps u purge a lot of negativity especially if your having one of those days when your techniques suck, your shins kill and some rookie just used your face as a punching bag. No ego, no desires, just chilling with the universe. Theres also a lot of cool Black Magic involved in Muy Thai so if your inerested in learning about that too then drop me a line. :bawling:

Donkey

Cheers man, if you check out my profile you should be able to find my email address. I see that you've done hapkido as well, internal aspects in that as well? Basically I've been searching for ages for external training methods I found a lot, and now I'm searching for internal trainig methods.

Black magic in muay thai? How so :-?

Cheers man, if you check out my profile you should be able to find my email address. I see that you've done hapkido as well, internal aspects in that as well? Basically I've been searching for ages for external training methods I found a lot, and now I'm searching for internal trainig methods.

Go for Xingyi, Taiji or Bagua then. Those are the big three internals that have the type of training that you may be looking for. What Fat Donkey mentioned is close, just leave the candles out of it. Just work with your mind and body and breath.