• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High Kicking Contest...

For what it's worth...In class today our Sa Ba Nim focused on and spoke about kicking before we practiced.

As background, the logo of our school is a picture of our Sa Ba Nim doing a straddle kick higher than two guys with their hands streched straight over their heads.

Anyway, he spoke about the different muscles or areas of our bodies that we use to do different kinds of kicks. Specifically, the difference between jumping kicks and kicks that follow an opponent.

I was surprised to learn that the strength from jumping kicks is not necessarily from your thighs, but more from the muscles on top of your feet. One of the ways we work on these is to get down in a squating position and walk or hop. I didn't know how much I absorbed this until I tried it, and it's very hard. Also, watching my Sa Ba Nim do this, you could clearly see that every muscle is developed in his feet and he has the use of them all at will. It was really unbelievable.

Kicks during sparring when you follow you're opponent are more dependent on your big thigh muscles.

Anyway, I can't do the information he conveyed justice, but it is these kinds of talks that inspire me to keep practicing, because there is such a wealth of knowledge in the martial arts, that is so right-on, but non-western in mindset, you can't find it anywhere else. It's finding a whole new sense of the world.

Does anyone else have these kind of moments?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's interesting about the feet. I'm gonna work on my feet more.

I jump off my left leg and pump the left knee, then kick with my right and land on both.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

I can kick really high straight up in front of me about 6'8-6'10...but when I do a round kick...its about head high 5'10-6'2 and if I try to go higher it really hurts my hip...any streches I could do to fix that. It really messes me up in sparring.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

Yikes! It sounds like an interesting competition, although in real life I wouldn't try to fight someone who was so big I couldn't reach their head. I'd simply run away! 8)

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson