• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brown and Black belt katas

Red Triangle student

The katas for Brown belts Kanku Dai, Bassai Dai,Jion,and Hangetsu. So what are the Black belt katas? I know Nijushiho and i am a Brown double white. :-?

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mm. The red Triangle club in Liverpool ?

if so I'd guess you have about the best authorities standing on british soil somewhere in your dojo.

bottom line, funakoshi claimed 15 for blackbelt.

under KUGB -

Bassai Dai, Kanku Dai, Jion and another whos name I forget are all shodan ( tekki Nidan ? Jitte ?)

Bassai Sho, Kanku Sho, Nijushiho and another whos name I forget are all options for second, and required for third ( Jitte ? Tekki Nidan ? Sochin ?)

gojushiho sho & Dai, Wankan, Unsu, Chinte, Tekki Sandan are all 4th and above

Gankaku, Jiin, Meikyo are the others.

basically, they will teach you when you are ready - unless your on the national teams- then you might get ahead.

luckily, all shotokan kata are a doddle to learn from video - and theire are plenty of video's about.

PS. i am KUGB 4th Dan - but then I was a lot younger back then :karate:

Not dead yet. I just havent showered after training

luckily, all shotokan kata are a doddle to learn from video - and theire are plenty of video's about.

*cough* I disagree. Learning a kata is a lot more than just getting the moves in the correct order, which is basically all a video will teach you.

Anyway, with the FSK, kyu grade kata are Kihon, Heian 1-5 and Tekki Shodan. Brown belts learn Bassai Dai, Jion, Empi, Kanku Dai and Hangetsu. Some also learn Tekki Nidan. The remainder of the 26 shotokan kata are the ones you learn afterwards from shodan onwards. In my club, students usually learn Kanku Sho, Sochin and Nijushiho after learning the ones listed.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

In my experience black belt kata have included:

Bassai-Sho, Kanku-Sho, Tekki Nidan & Sandan, Sochin, Gankaku, Gojishiho, Rohai and Chinte.

Although technically a black belt grading kata Nijishiho is usually taught lower.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

OK thanks for the info. I think i can cope with learning katas though! Dont worry i still focus on what i am doing! I just have a brilliant memory for kata.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

Our Brown Belt Kata are

Tekki Shodan

Bassai Dai

Jion

Black Belt Kata

Kanku Dai

after that the order don't really matter. Sometimes we do replace Jion with Tekki Nidan or Hangetsu.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Our brown belt katas (Northern Karate Association) :

Jion, Jinn, Jitte, Kanku Dai, Bassai Dai

Black Belt Katas:

Kanku Sho, Meikyo, Ten No s, Bassai Sho, and the organisations own katas (Kan Sho, Yontikan)

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

In our organization the brown belts need to know:

Tekki Shodan

Bassai Dai

Kanku Dai

Empi

jion

Jitte

They are required for Shodan. The Brown belts also learn the others along with the black belts as long as they know the the others well enough.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Well in the KUGB the Brown belt katas are:

Bssai Dai, Jion,Empi,kanku dai,Hangetsu.

Does anyone know what the KUGB katas are for Black belts? I already know that one is Nijushiho.

For the KUGB, the standard dan katas are

shodan -> nidan: bassai sho, kanku sho, niju shiho, jitte, tekki nidan

Nidan -> sandan: chinte, sochin, gankaku, unsu, gojushio sho

sandan -> yondan: gojushi dai, ji'in, wankan, meikyo, tekki sandan

Of course, expect to touch on some or all before the respective grading time. Especially a kata such as Unsu and Gankaku. You will also need to know all the Tekki's (shodan, nidan and sandan) in a hurry as these are practiced often, joined together and in any order.

:karate:

ShotoMan of the Shotokan