• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advancing belts in half the time??

Coco

the black belt is now the 'be-all-and-end-all' for many people and clubs.

That's not really true anymore. That's why the dan system was added.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me ten years to get a black belt, and not because I was not good enough, it was because we were promoted when we felt we were ready. You can choose to run to the next belt, or walk there and take in the sights along the way. No hurries. I was at a black belt level in my 3rd or 4th year. Yet, I did not test until my tenth year. There was no hurry. I was always one of the best in my class and i acredit it to training hard and being patient.

the black belt is now the 'be-all-and-end-all' for many people and clubs.

That's not really true anymore. That's why the dan system was added.

Yes, but for many people outside of MA, getting your black belt is seen as the final aspect of training. When I was about to take my Shodan I had at least 3 non-martial art friends who asked me if I was going to give up when I got my black belt.

Also, I was including dan grades within my previous statement. The getting of the blackbelt (or another dan) is the sole aim of some clubs, rather than the training and teaching of good karate.

Plus, for McDojo's the actual act of getting students to as high a grade as possible whilst extracting the maximum amount of money from them is the main aim - as long as the student gets their blackbelt or dan grade and the instructor gets piles of £££ then the actual grade isn't necessarily that important to them.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

lol, now that is a good reason to get another belt!!

Good luck for your grading - when is it?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!