• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advancing belts in half the time??

Coco

Three years ago when i started Shotokan the first thing my instructor asked me was: "if you want i can make you graduate until blue belt quickly(about one year), several students of mine did it to get quicker the black belt"......well of course i chosen the other way...by passing every test with the required time...not because i didn't feel ready...but since all martial arts practicing is infinite...your first achievement shouldn't be the black belt...but rather your personal feeling that you're improving to become a good esperienced black belt.

Why i'm saing that....because in that dojo you couldn't notice the difference between a black belt and a lower rank...brow, blue and in some cases lower...

You practice only for yourself...so even if you'll spend one more year or month to graduate don't worry....it will be better for you, not for your instructor. ;)

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's not OK. I don't care of anybody's agenda or plans when they include me in a dangerous way. Competing in a high level class is crazy, when you know you haven't got at least 2 years of very serious training. I refused to compete when I felt I wasn't ready. That's what I told my sensei right in the face. I DON'T FEEL READY. And he let me stay (though he knew I could do OK).

This sounds like a McDojo or something similar. I'd leave if I couldn't make it clear that I have to decide if I test or not, even if sensei thinks (or has the interest) that I could take a rank. Of course it's nice to wear a darker belt, but always try to imagine your real value. We all could buy some BB (with embroidery too) and wear it to feel like supermen. Still that rank should be backed by REAL PROFICIENCY.

So I say talk to the instructor and get to a conclusion together. You don't train 7 days a week 7 hours a day, so it's kinda rush. :D

Tell us how it's going

Well ive missed 2 weeks of karate classes so far because Im very sick, but i went to firdays class and i noticed that im getting tired faster, loosing my balance on stances i could do before and im forgetting stuff, 2 weeks can do this much to you?? anyways, the green belt test is coming up really soon(about 15 days) and i havent paid for it yet, If i dont heal and get all my stuff right by then, i dont think ill take the test (allthough my teacher would be REALLY dissapointed).

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Well ive missed 2 weeks of karate classes so far because Im very sick, but i went to firdays class and i noticed that im getting tired faster, loosing my balance on stances i could do before and im forgetting stuff, 2 weeks can do this much to you?? anyways, the green belt test is coming up really soon(about 15 days) and i havent paid for it yet, If i dont heal and get all my stuff right by then, i dont think ill take the test (allthough my teacher would be REALLY dissapointed).

As i said before you don't need to take the test because of your instructor...just feel when you're ready. :wink:

In two weeks of not training you can get tired faster at the first lesson but...what kind of stuff are you forgetting? Me...last year i didn't trained for three months and i forgot sequences of some katas...but after few lessons i turned as 3 months ago. That could depend of your regular training...or how your teacher spend time to get the basic stuff in your head...i don't know...what i'm tring to say that in few weeks you shouldn't have lost so much...

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

You can't possibly forget your thing in 2 weeks; it means you didn't get the basics as you should. After 14 days, you should remember PERFECTLY (or almost perfectly) your katas and stuff. Even if you don't practice at all at home, thinking about the moves should help you remember the stuff.

A reason enough to postpone your testing. I took my green belt after 2 YEARS of training and I would be able to do my stuff even if woken at 3 AM from my bed.

You should really discuss with your sensei and consider moving. Get yourself a good dojo and a serious instructor. Of course you you could stay and become soon a BB. Prepare for the others to mop the floor with you and become just another crappy shodan. You're in a McDojo, without doubt and can 2 things. Convince your sensei to really slow down and get your stuff relearnt and a second nature to you, while not rushing through the ranks or move to other dojo (if your instructor is too hard-headed) or just be happy to hold a rank that's undeserved (because of lack of proficiency and experience).

It's your choise. And we are here to help with an advice.

Tell us how it's going on :karate:

I'm not sure, if I was told that I may feel rushed. Then again, the colour of the belt you wear is representative of the techniques you are capable of performing well. If you can do them well, or better than standard, then why not grade a little early? Just be wary of letting this go to your head and allowing others to give you overconfidence.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there first post for me.

I've returned to Karate after a break of about 12 years. I am a white belt again but in our club we do the same training as the black and brown belts other than when they are doing the more advanced Kata we either do our own or jsut watch. For me there is no real incentive to get a different coloured belt.

:lol: I swear, I begin to think this belt system has become just a marketing tool. An advancement every three months? R u kidding? At this rate what the heck are u really learning in terms of MA's. If we are all agreed that MA's are primarily for defense aren't u a bit worried that your quick belts are focusing on form instead of function. There should be two belts white and black. And if u get a black belt in less than 5 years of constant traing then u should worry about the quality of your gym. 7 to 8 yrs is more like it. And it's not about skill only. It's about dedication, discipline and sacrifice to attain the highest level. Thank God I don't have to deal with this anymore. The only belt I want now is the title belt I can actually win in a full contact match. :kaioken:

Donkey

and i noticed that im getting tired faster, loosing my balance on stances i could do before and im forgetting stuff, 2 weeks can do this much to you??

lol, 2 hours can do that to me never mind 2 weeks! :lol:

just kiddin'

Ant, welcome to KarateForums! Hope you enjoy it here.

Coco, if you're worried about taking your belt test then DON'T TAKE IT! There's much more important things in karate than getting your next belt. Even if your instructor is disappointed that you're not gonna grade doesn't mean that you have to. Grade when YOU feel ready.

When I was going for my purple belt, my instructor asked me if I wanted to grade. He told me that he thought I was ready, but I didn't feel 100% confident myself, so I waited. He was fine with my decision and respected it.

Donkey, I really agree with you about the belt system. It really has become a marketing tool and the black belt is now the 'be-all-and-end-all' for many people and clubs. :(

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!