• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advancing belts in half the time??

Coco

I have been in a Shito-Ryu karate dojo for about a year now, and me and my friend are the best karatekas from our class, but we are only 6th kyu out of 10. My teachers says we are *good enough* to advance belts in half the time (1 1/2 months instead of 3). Recently, he has advanced me from 7th to 6th kyu on half the time, and now im going to 5th on a month. Do you guys think it is way too fast even if i train alot? Is this considered CHEATING the belt grading system? opinions?

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not cheating, ot at least not from your side :)

If you are really doing great you can be granted this testings, though in my opinion it's kinda soon even if you train 30 hours a month. I train more than that and still tested twice a year. Now at high rank, I'll wait for an entire year or even more to be tested.

I don't say it's wrong. It's how your sensei does it. Maybe we'll get some more opinions on this matter.

Whilst progression may be quick at times, it will be slower at others. You havent mentioned any other 'relevant' facts such your preference in trainint, how often you train, your schedule or backround, and indeed the style.

The structure for Kyu grades, and to the some extent, dan grades has become so weakend and meaningless.

ie. Funakoshi wrote of a need for 15 kata for first dan. most shotokan 1st dans only need 6/7 now. ( 5 heian, 1 tekki and a choice ).

I myself spent 2 years working on Hiean Shodan. over and over and over.......

and 3 months with another teacher doing Nidan, Sandan and Yondan.

the other teacher wanted a strong kumite team - and white belts cant fight as seniors.

also, kyu grade progress is artificial. - in one system I know of, there are 4 kyu grades - in another 12.

bottom line, train hard - and often. observe other grades performing. measure your performance, but keep both eyes on the journey.

( thier is a parable about focusing on the result, before commencing - to the effect that the harder you seek the finishing line, the longer it takes to get there )

does your kata performance look and feel like a counting by numbers exercise ? or does it flow, with hard and soft, slow and fast segments, is your awareness high throughout - and after, can you do it backwards ( Sensie Kase and Shirai of shotokan like this idea ), can you do it again and again for an hour and retain a tight composure.

and if you are cheating - you cheat yourself.

and if your teacher is simply fee collecting - move on.

Not dead yet. I just havent showered after training

Well, if your sitructor feels that you are good enough to advance, then it isn't really cheating. However, make sure he's not just advancing you to your next belt just to get your money. Also, please remember, that you might be progressing quickly now, but when you get to brown & black belt level the length of time between promotions can be a year or more. Just keep on training hard and I'm sure your efforts will be rewarded. It isn't ll about belts - as long as you feel you are making progress and learning all the time then that is the main thing.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I feel that many people put too much emphasis on belt progression. Personally, I am never in a rush to get the next belt, but I do try and focus on getting better all the time, with each class. I strive to at least learn one new thing in class, whether it's a totally new technique or just getting better at a technique that I've already been taught.

When I get that new belt however, it's a great feeling that I know I put many many hours of training and focus into achieving.

If I were you, I wouldn't be in a rush to get the next belt so quickly. However as long as you feel like you've earned it then it's not a big deal.

I feel if you ready and your instructor feels your ready then its fine. I was about to test for green like a year ago but had to quit on account of car problems...well, about a year later I got back into it and still had alot of the moves...just sloppy on formal blocking and all that...well, they kinda rushed me into testing and i did ok, but since they were the ones who felt i was ready its all good with me.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

i wouldent say it is cheating because it is based on your own personal skill and if you are really good then you deserve it.

ps:did u double grade because i did :D i was watched by andy sherry and frank brennan it was nerve wrecking!!

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

I wouldnt worry about it. In fact i wouldnt worry about belts at all. if your instructor wants you to do it then ok. But i would question what the motivation is.

Who cares what colour your belt is?

Id be quite content to stay with a white belt forever.

After all you are always learning. What will you do once you have a black belt, stop learning, will you know it all.

Not critisizing just raising questions.

Seize the day!

Its done a lot.

However its usually only done with lower kuy ranks and not so much high ones. Because some people are just more athletic than others. Its ok to jump just realize you are.

Keep in mind its better to be a really good low rank than an ok or avg. higher rank.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."