• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling Training - Navy Seals, Army Special Forces, etc.

That's the way I interpret the above posts on striking vs. grappling. But, I've only finished one cup of coffee this morning, so...

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they do teach footwork in the military. they of course delve into grappling as well because in their own words "nearly any confrontation commences with grappling or does very quickly" or something like that. it is true that they emphasize these principles but they use things like kinfe and stick combat to not only offer resourcefulness for any situation u may be in, but it also it helps to increase your unarmed ablilites as well. heres a good site describing it.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1985/dec85/greenberet/greenberet.html

My brother is a soldier and a good 75% of my fighting ive learned from him.

I hear people say that you will forget what you know or only be able to do techniques in a real situation due to adrenaline dump. Not everyone has that reaction. People who have been in alot of fights and train hard will have less of this. Philosophy and training your mind to be disciplined is rarely ever talked about here. It's all in your head. If you can train your mind you will react calmly and you will defeat your opponent.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

EVERYONE has that reaction. the difference is that trained people theoretically should retain more, as they are training more. This will not always be the case though, as not everyone trains corectly.

you don't forget what you know, you forget what isn't second nature. So, if you know a roundhouse kick, for example, but it's not ingrained, you won't use it in a fight.

Another issue that may cause some confusion is has to do with what constitutes grappling.

I think a lot of people interpret grappling as primarily ground or floor fighting versus stand-up grappling. I can't imagine that a soldier wearing a sidearm, utility belt with equipment attached is going to be very effective moving on the ground.

So when the term grappling is use (as in the article linked by Ravencroft) it doesn't necessarily mean ground fighting.

Good article by the way.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

That's why I feel Taijutsu (Body Dynamics) is the most important part of fighting. Knowing how to move and what happens to you and your opponent when you move. Merely moving to the right place at the right time will cause your opponent to be off balance and at your mercy. So the basics are the most important thing to learn, but from the basics come infinite technique and solutions. There shouldn't be a different way of moving for every technique. There should be one way of moving for all the techniques. Of course this depends on what kind MA we are talking about. Most Grappling Arts I think have a way to move and everything stems from those basics. It's just a smart way of teaching.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

treebranch i dont agree, body dyanmics isnt superior, speed or power isnt either, you have to train them all to stand a chance to be an all around fighter, a real fighter wouldnt just train for one thing, but most of these pretenders better know how to run when they go up against real warriors :lol:

ladies email me for some fun

note he said 'part'.

'part' as in 'one of many'.

nowhere did he say that body dynamics was all you need.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."