• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling Training - Navy Seals, Army Special Forces, etc.

It would be interesting to know how much MA training spec ops or even regular army units use.

Not much. One of the purple belts in my bjj class was a SEAL. His grappling is awesome, but not because of the military - he's done wrestling and judo all his life, and competed at the world level. His striking is horrible. The majority of their time was tactical and weapons training, not hand to hand.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Green Berets primarily train in filipino kali...thats where their entire knife and blade system comes from...Now in terms of grappling they still stick mostly with filipino arts...they emphasize many chokes locks and counter offensive manipulations...although the standard martial arts course for SF is only 6 weeks in length they typically have the ability to take most seasoned blackbelts because of the practicality that they learn...Their techniques are very versitaille in that one move can apply to many situations...the systems they use are also designed to work in the field...when they will be tired and hungry so it doesnt rely on brute strength all the time eventhough id watch out while they are healthy because they are very strong...Im not sure of every system they use but i know some of it is derived from kali, hapkido, krav maga, JKD, and a few other arts specifically developed for the military...there has been much reform in their training the past years in ways of not only physical training, but even some menttal and spiritual work as well.......

Belts are for holding your pants up.......

"Their techniques are very versitaille in that one move can apply to many situations"

Over the last six years I've trained with a Jiu-Jitsu Grandmaster. He has over 40+ years in the martial arts, primarily Jiu-Jitsu but it also includes boxing, kickboxing, stick and knife fighting. He knows a hundred and one variations to every technique and is always developing other variations to technique (primarily to keep the training interesting).

That said he often says that in an attack situation the vast majority of people are going to revert to something very basic. The hundred and one variations usually comes down to some very basic blocking, striking and grappling techniques. Practicing the complicated striking, throwing and grappling techniques is done more to make doing the simple and basic instinctive/reative in a really adverse situation.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

he's absolutely right. When the adrenaline rushes and heart rate goes above 120, anything not ingrained in your muscle mempry will fly out the window - you won't remember it. All ou will use is what's ingrained in your system, which in most people's cases, is basics. If you're not trained, or if you're not trained well, then you may resort to simple flailing, which we've all seen in streetfights.

• 2 weeks later...

Hand to hand is an afterthought in the USMC. Read theuir latest hand to hand manual. Page after page of grappling and groundfighting (BJJ of course), and about 8 strikes (including punches, elbows, and kicks). Striking is described as "more complicated than grappling techniques" and "an ineffective way of finishing a fight". Armbars and submission techniques have no place in a manual for soldiers.

"Striking is described as "more complicated than grappling techniques"

My sensei (Jiu-Jitsu Grandmaster with 35+ years teaching experience) would totally disagree with that statement. I do too but I'm a novice with only 10 years of martial arts experience.

Grappling techniques are much harder to master to the point of being effective. There are nuiances to throw the most effective strikes but even a strike that makes contact is going to have some affect. With many grappling and joint locks if they are not done right, with a fairly high degree of correctness they will not be effective.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

My sensei (Jiu-Jitsu Grandmaster with 35+ years teaching experience) would totally disagree with that statement.

Anyone with this (holds thumb and index finger REALLY close together)much experience in martial arts would know this is untrue. :D [/url]

Perhaps their striking is quite basic and doesnt include the complicated footwork and body positioning of other styles. For them they concentrate more on grappling and have developed that more highly. Perhaps?

Seize the day!

I find it hard to believe striking is independant of grappling in some styles. The combination of both makes a very effective attack.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.