• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting Article on BJJ.

This cat has said a couple of foolish things. The guard is NOT predicated on long legs. Ask Cleber, or Cesar or Ralph Gracies. Rickson is only about 5'9. F. Shamrock is not tall either.

As far as Olympic wrestle conditioning, well anyone in any sporting endeavor could benefit from that kind of conditioning.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think he makes good points, but the problem is that he has a limited view of MA's in general as most of us do. I personally think that MMA competitions are becoming more and more standardized and more of a sport than the early days of these competitions. I also hope that most people realize the unpredictability of a street fight and it's infinite scenarios takes a type of training that is completely different in philosophy and focus. The conditioning and aliveness of sport fighting is it's true strength. Being physically fit is a definite advantage in any situation and fighting is no different. All MA's have something good to offer any kind of fight, but some focus on different aspects of fighting that may not suit everyone.

Also remember the frame of reference most people use when evaluating a MA today is from what they saw an athlete do in the ring. If you are as talented as those guys in the ring then you are on your way. If you are not, maybe those type of MA's may not be best suit for you.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Yeah, there are lots of throws you can do with no gi.

The article had some relevance in 1997, but things are a lot different now e.g. all bjj'ers know leglocks now, the BJJ fighters who fight in the ring all do wrestling to help their takedowns.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

That's great I'm glad BJJ is evolving. I think it's good for a MA's to look at other MA's for new and more efficient ways of fighting. That's how most viable MA's used to develop in the past when real fighting was necessary.