• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions on Shotokan Katas

cathal

I am wondering if there is any one kata that you think most represents the training and philosophies of Shotokan?

Thanks everyone.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmm Hangetsu, i think that kata certainly carries certain fundamentals to do with stamina and power. I think the other Brown belt katas are far more interesting. Personally i like Empi and Kanku Dai much more.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

as ive said somewhere im only a red belt but i think the brown and black belt katas look extremely tiring so i would say they best show the philosophies of shotokan karate

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

Kanku-Dai and Kanku-Sho would be my vote, but Gojushiho-Dai and Gojushiho-Sho are also interesting Shotokan kata.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i wish i knew those katas hmm do any of you know how long it takes to become a black belt approximatly if you are good enough i mean

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

It depends on where you get your training and how much dedication you put into it. Also age and athletic ability are a factor.

Usually about 3 years. Getting a black belt doesn't make you some ultimate fighting machine though.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

It roughly takes about 4-5 years in my association.

It is different with different instructors and organisations, though. Plus, it depends how often you train and the amount of effort a person puts into training.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

sochin i think represents my way of training best.slow then fast.strong and weak. i think its got a great power balance frim and strong the way i like it.

Impossible is not a fact, It's an opinion!

Shotokan-Nidan