• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different styles?

Mart

Hi im from a thai boxing background.

Can someone explain to me why and how there are so many different systems of Karate. Do they all have the same base?

It seems like a here a new one every month. Are new ones still being created?

Im not being critical im just interested in evolution of martial arts and wonder what is the case with Karate.

Seize the day!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Apparently, there were only four schools of karate which was brought over to England in the 1950's. As these schoold developed and produced black belts, they went off to teach karate too. Some of these black belts decided from the style they stated with and add, change or take aspect away, creating their own style.

I think from what i have read and heard, there are so many styles now with so many different grading and belt sytems. So many different views on karate and how it should develop, change, revert back to its original, be more competitive, have more grappling, less formal, more foral, etc. So those who start their own styles have their own motives for teaching what they teach.

Here is an interesting artle to read:

'At the feet of the master: Three stages in the appropraition of Okinawan karate into Anglo-American Culture.' - Gary J Krug, Source (Cultural Studies Critical Methodologies, published by Sage, Volume 1 Number 4, page 395 - 410)

:karate:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

Thats interesting i didnt know that.

So does Karate have a definition any more or does it just refer to any Japanese martial art that was derived from one of the basic four systems?

Seize the day!

Thats interesting i didnt know that.

So does Karate have a definition any more or does it just refer to any Japanese martial art that was derived from one of the basic four systems?

Yeah pretty much it's just a generalization of the japanese hand/feet fighting systems derived from okinawa. Thai boxing is also a cool style, very good for keeping in shape.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

Sure they can. In fact there are many "traditional" only tournaments where all the tradtional karate styles meet and compete. Styles like Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Shi-to ryu, Wado-ryu, etc.

They compete in forms, weapons forms, and their sparring is done with just a cloth padded glove. No other protective gear is needed, other than mouth pc. and groin cup.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

They compete in forms, weapons forms, and their sparring is done with just a cloth padded glove. No other protective gear is needed, other than mouth pc. and groin cup.

There are also tournements where no protective gear is worn, correct? This is high level of course, like an open tournement.

IMO a high level tourney should have the rules of protective gear, too. I don't see as low level to protect your mouth, your genitals or your chest (as a woman). I'd rather stay away from these "high level" tournaments than to risk damages to my teeth or God forbid my toracic area. We're talking safety here and health issues not the "pride" of competing bareknuckle and without minimum safety.

Back to the discussion. It's indeed interesting how in USA there are many open tourneys. In Romania open means you can compete at the category of over 18 years old (it's just the age thing). I've seen a documentary on discovery about some tourneys in USA. The bad thing is sometimes people outside a style have to judge the performance of a karateka (or whatever). They are UNQUALIFIED in the style so they award trophies withiut knowing what's going on in the style. It's bad and unprofessional.

As a general rule a competition like an open tourney is a good thing, because you get to know some other related styles. Still we can't compare styles, because it's all about the humans involved. A bad gojo ryu student doesn't mean the style sucks.

My opinion, as stated before :karate:

There should still be tournaments where all you have to wear are: cup, grappling gloves, and mouthguard. That's right... no sissy headgear, no useless foot pads, no shin guards, no bulky hand gloves, no extra sissy forearm pads, etc.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Many karate tournaments are still almost protection free, with just a groin cup, mough guard and open hand mitts. A lot are heading the way of other MA styles and introducing shin protectors, head guards etc.

As to your question, many styles of karate have the same base. Karate styles can be basically split into Japanese influence and Okinawan influence, although there is a large 'other' category that is springing up recently, which combines elements of other MA styles, but is still called karate. Most karate styles incorporate many of the same techniques, but it is the application and focus of each style that is slightly different. My styles, Shotokan, has very deep and low stances, where as something like Shito-Ryu has higher stances. Also, the focus of each style is different - this also depends on each individual instructor. Some styles place more emphasis on kumite and heavy sparring, whereas other styles concentrate more on kata and application.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!