• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

speed

wilko9999

my speed is bad how can i pick up my speed because the next belt is brown so i going to do full contact fighting can u help :karate:

thanks

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you mean speed as in how long it takes for your punch to extend, or speed as in how quickly you respond to an attack or other stimulus (reflexes)?

Try improving your general fitness level, this should help your speed. Incorporated running or skipping into your fitness training and it will help build up your speed and power.

Also, if it's punching and kicking speed you want to improve then try and do as much bag work as possible.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Relax. Actual speed is primarily a function of how relaxed you are. You should not tense until flesh meets flesh.

Apparent speed occurs when you eliminate wasted movement. The most obviouse example of this is eliminating chambers, strike or block from point of origin. Converting a block to a strike or a strike to a block is another way to gain apparent speed. Hidden moves are another.

Response speed comes with practice- recognizing and exploiting openings, dealing with attacks, etc. But you can immediately improve this situation by starting to think about and work angles. Get to his side and you effectively momentarily neutralize halfe his defense and offense.

There's lots more, but I'm not sure what your school stresses. I'm sure they will give you some tips along the way, like proper form and structure- things that require on the spot adjustments. The above hints might get you started, though.

Freedom isn't free!

i need to know how can i improve my reflexs because i9 can work on my attack speed but i need help on my reflexes

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

here's a hint: we do something to increase battle awareness & reflexes: its called the flag game, you divide up into 2 teams, 2 flags (can be pieces of belt or w/e) in your belt, and you run around and try to take the opposing teams flags. you cant hide or put your hands over your flags, you can only twist your body to prevent a flag from being taken, or run. no real contact is required, and if you go outside a designated area, you lose one flag.

hmm that sounds good and entertaining but i was thinking more of indoor like my living room kind of training ..any thoughts

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

"Visualisation" is the key. Just get your mind into being attacked and react to it. Do it in front of a mirror and you can see how slow you are or if you do it fast, how much you are covering yourself with a block. You have to concentrate and rememebr how you were attacked last time and work at that. If you are honest with yourself, you will know that the punch or kick would have gotten through.

Work on fast block and counter combinations. Also multiple blocks followed by a counter but fast and hard; stationary and moving around.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

Actually, delta1 hit the nail right on the head...

Relaxation is the key to speed.........

Relax.....Kime!

Relax.....Kime!

Relax.....Kime!

Get the pattern????

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/