• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gankaku-Sho

renketsu

Afternoon all,

Does any one have a video (or walk through instructions) of Gankaku-Sho - the Shotokanised version of the Chinto kata (and no I dont mean Shotokan's normal Gangaku :lol:)

This was mentioned on 24FC and is a non-Shotokan kata which has been introduced (and I assume Shotokanised) by Kanazawa to his Shotokan sylabus in the SKIF.

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No, sorry, but I'd be interested in a copy too, if anyone knows of a link!

How different is Gankaku-Sho to the kata it is based on, Chinte?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Chinte and Gankanku are VERY differant not much of anything alike in them. Gankanku has a lot of balance and one legged stances and it works on a straight line with blocks and attacks. Chintie on the other hand works stance shifting, throws, Grabs and escapes. Only one move for a split second are you on one foot in Chitie as opposed to half of Gankanku.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Sorry guys - there's a bit of a mis-understanding here... Gangaku-sho is based on Chinto not Chinte - :lol:

The original form of Gankaku was taken from kata Chinto by Funakoshi and Shotokanised (hence the rename) into the form we have today (which I must admit is my favourite kata by some margin :D ). Kanazawa saw the current version of Chinto (from Shito Ryu if I remember correctly) and made it into Gankaku-Sho for his association as he saw a use for it.

I have a video from Matsubayashi Ryu (which Incidentally I had never heard of before) which I picked up off the web a while back but was wondering how the Kanazawa version compares to this one - which looks only vaguely similar to the Shotokan Gankaku version.

Any other videos of Chinto out there? :karate:

Cheers,

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

Sorry, that's why I was a bit confused about the similarities - I was sure that Chinte and Gankaku were separate kata (which of course they are).

How much has Chinto been altered to become Gankaku-Sho and how similar is Gankaku-Sho to the original Shotokan Gankaku? (which is one of my favourite kata too, Renketsu!)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

geez I hate (shotokan) Gankanku with passion. Freaking one legged moves lol.... Wish I could do it well. Heck I wish I could do it half way welll lol.

does Chinto look like any shotokan kata.? Nijushisho, Sochin, Gojoshisho or Dai???

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."