• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Willie Williams Fighting a Bear?

EvilTed

How do you think a real katana w/ a trained user would fare against a bear?

Wise words from granmasterchen. You have to keep in mind when thinking bears, that they are much faster and stronger than a man is...period. Yes, it's possible that a skilled (or lucky) man iwth a good katana could defeat a bear, but more likely than kill them, the man would most likely wound the bear and the bear would choose to leave the confrontation.

However, this would depend a lot on what type of bear you're dealing with also. Any bear is normally non-aggressive and would prefer no human contact if possible. Worst case scenerio is if you surprise a bear, especially a sow with a cub...THEN you have problems. A bear will normally bluff charge you to try to scare you off, but attacks do happen.

I live close to Glacier National Park in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, and there are an abundance of black and grizzly bears here. I have also had close contact with black and grizzly bears both in the wild, and through a business here that has various "wild" animals that qre used as "models" for various photographers to make calendars and posters. If you ever see a healthy, adult bear of any species, you can't help but be impressed, and a bit intimidated, by the natural strength and speed of these animals.

Back to the katana vs bear idea. If you tried to make a downward strike to a bear, chances are that you won't stop it. Period. Hurt it, yes, but kill it..doubtful. Trying to take out a bears limb would be very difficult, as a bear doesn't stand up like a man does (contrary to what you see in the movies), and you'd have to be VERY close to the bear, well within its own striking distance, in order to reach a bears front leg. All I can say is, most likely, you'll just PO the bear if you cut it, and then you could become its lunch!

When I go hiking/camping in the woods, I carry a .44mag on my hip, but those are illegal in the Park, so it's in my backpack and hopefully won't have to be used at all. The Park Rangers use a .44 mag themselves, and anything less than that is doubtful that it will have much of an effect on the animal if you need to use it to save your life.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I went bear hunting with my Uncle when I was young, (I detest the hunting of predator species now), and I saw him shoot a HUGE bear with his hunting pistol which was a .454 Casull. He had to shoot it THREE times ti kill it! One shot in the throat, one pierced a lung and the last struck the heart. The thing still ran over 100 yards before it dropped. Anyone here who knows anything about hand cannons knows what a .454 can do. It is an extremely powerful handgun. After seeing that, I have no doubt in my mind that an empty handed individual may as well kick and punch a mack truck as a full grown bear, even a sick one. A full grown grizzly bear can break a moose's shoulder blade with one swipe. A human would stand no chance whatsoever, with or without a katana. IMHO I suppose you could get lucky and you'd better hope that you do. An AT-4 rocket launcher might come in handy though.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

have any of you guys heard of Gean Le Bell? (sp?)

he did bearhug-defence against a bear, copped a few scratches but proved his point none the less.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

anyone that is a coward enough to fight an animal i would love to have in front of me in the ring.

Animals that they would fight are not wild animals in control of all their facilities in the wild, but rather tamed, old, sick, drugged animals, or animals that think they are playing rather then fighting.

I think that there is a definite ability to fight animals like bears and win, but there is no reason to do so other then being cruel.

Of course if you are in the wild and are attacked thats one thing, but i cant think of any valid reason to do this.

I have met Gene actually when i was in the bay area.

I know he is a legend, and i know he has alot of great information and knowledge but regardless i completely lose respect for people that take advantage of animals or helpless people.