• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why does Sensei give me low testing grades time after time ?

goedikey

I believe I am a strong Karateka with good technique and spirit. Stress has made my balance weak and my kibadachi higher than usual (as pionted out in his paper) but I dont believe this is a good reason to score me so low, especially compare me with someone who I dont think much of.

I simply sont understand why I get such low grades. Its been the same thing for every testing I have done with him.

You said it all right there. If you have poor balance in kibadachi, I would imagine it is present in your other stances as well. It might just be more obvious to you when you're in kibadachi. You can't get very far with poor balance, and it sounds like he's holding you to a higher standard.

I've said it over and over again to our students, and I'll say it to you:

Worry about yourself, not those around you. Most people have enough to deal with when it comes to fixing their own faults. ;)

Different people receive different feedback based on what the instructor thinks they need at the time. Some people receive negative scores and work hard to convince their instructor they deserve better. Other people get negative scores and become disheartened and give up.

It's all a dress rehearsal for your Dan test anyway, which is just a rehearsal for your Kodanja test, etc :)

I'll agree (as usual) with tommarker on this. One thing you have to understand here is that nobody on this forum has seen you in a class, or during a test, but if you know that our stances are weak, that alone can lower a testing grade in my opinion, and the higher of a belt you are testing for, the more it will affect that grade. I will allow sloppy stances on the first test (yellow), but there had better be improvement on the next test, or they won't pass..period!

As for your asking questions in class, I encourage my students to question me and challenge what I say to them. However with that said, I expect the questions to be useful and pertain to the subject at hand, not random ramblings about things that aren't relevent at the moment. That wastes class time. Also, I've seen schools that don't allow, or encourage questions. Some down right expect you to just do what you are told and keep your trap shut! I don't like those myself, but I've seen it.

My best recommendation is to make an appontment with your sensei if he's real busy and just plain ask him...

"What do I need to improve on to get my test scores higher?"

"What is holding me back in your opinion?"

"What are the chances of your giving me some one-on-one help to improve?"

For one thing, those questions will send a definite signal to your sensei that you want to improve, and will usually impress the heck out of him.

You sensei is your most valuable resource for improving yourself in that class. Use him!

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My previous comment was sarcastic in nature. Perhaps a more eloquent response is in order.

I'm not making accusations, but I see this sort of thing all over in life outside of the dojo. It is far easier to say the the other person has the problem or that things just "aren't fair" than it is to look back at yourself and do the work necessary to improve. It happens in the workplace, in school, and at home. With favoritism, generally the instructor will give the favorite priveleges and give better marks. Generally this does not mean that they will take away priveleges or give unfair marks to those that aren't favorites.

There is a baseline we use in grading tests. Everyone starts out as average. Your performance brings your average either up or down. If you show poor balance in stances, which in turn reflects in your kicks, blocks and punches, then you have brought your average down in all of these areas. Further, we look at how the student is trying. If the student who you felt is not as good as you are was giving it 100% effort, while you were coasting through on 75% (since you are so much better), your score goes down while his goes up. I don't ask for perfection. I ask that you perform your techniques to the best of your ability.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

Instead of worrying about why you possibly got a low test score, then concentrate on really trying to improve for next time. If you know that your kibadatchi is poor, then that is probably affecting your other stances, so make a real effort to try and improve in that area.

You should also ask your sensei where he thinks you need to improve. I know this is a bit obvious, but make sure you're asking questions politely and at an apropriate time. If you're asking questions constantly or asking about things when sensei is demonstrating and talking to the class, for example, then he won't be best pleased with you for interrupting. Plus, make sure that you're not asking about things that sensei has recently mentioned and given an answer to.

Also, if the questions are about karate generally, and not just your technique, you could maybe go and ask a higher grade to help you. Club sempais are there to help and support lower grade students - if they're reasonable people they'll not bite your head off for wanting to learn!

Try not to compare yourself to others; everyone learns at a different pace. As long as you are constantly trying to improve and giving 100% effort then I'm sure that this will please your sensei and your karate will become much better as a result.

Congratulations on passing your recent belt test! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Also note the difference in the two following questions:

1. "Why do YOU give ME such bad grades?"

2. "What can I do to improve?"

Both questions may get the same answer, but only one of the questions really shows the sincerity to learn.

I see lots of karateka perform amazing things and I always see people asking "how do you do that? is it hard?" and seem dissatisfied with their answers... Try asking what they did to get to that point and you see the real key.

It's all about asking the right question...

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Well, thanks for your replies.

My kibadachi was indeed higher than usual but still very strong ! (compared to other same rank students)

I am not conerned about what areas I need to improve because I am aware of those areas. I know I am a newbie trying to find his way and have flaws everywhere. But so do my peers.

BUT compared to my peers, I am doing very well (Says my girlfirend).

I believe I am one of the good students in my ranking and dont understand why this man gives me such a hard time !

I go to his dojo 3 times/week and work really hard, seriously with good kime and proper technique !

So enough complaning becaus he did grant me my belt afterall

Maybe he just thinks I am a stupid fu(k and wants to tell me by giving bad grades. That would be reassuring ;-)

Good night mates !

I still have to say that the most likely explaination is that you got the grades you deserved, and you're not happy about them. It is a natural behaviour to deny your insufficient grades by believing that the teacher just doesn't like you.

Can you trust your girlfriend to give you an honest, unbiased appraisal of your skills?

I still have to say that the most likely explaination is that you got the grades you deserved, and you're not happy about them. It is a natural behaviour to deny your insufficient grades by believing that the teacher just doesn't like you.

Can you trust your girlfriend to give you an honest, unbiased appraisal of your skills?

Well guys, an update on todays class.

A few of my peers have discussed this outside as well as ones wife who

was there on every class since the beginning. They too were questionning, it seems.

The general conclusion is that the ones that got the best grades were the ones that had paid 150$ for a training camp earlier last month, regardless of their performance. I didnt go.

I am not a kid trying to get a quick belt but a hard working adult and I know when something is fishy. Ive been around.

This explains why Sensei wont discuss any further the results of our test.

The sad thing is that the teachers are top notch and have many years (25+) experience. I hate it when money gets in the way !!!!

Just because someones has 25 years of experience doesn't mean that they are good. You can be crappy for 25 years too. I know many "Top names" that would fall into this category. The only thing that they really have going for them is name recognition. Just because they wear a high rank doesn't mean that they are all knowing.

On the other hand. You seem to spen d a lot of time comparing yourself to your peers. Karate is not about that. No two people will ever perform exactly the same in karate. This is what makes karate unique to the individual. However, there are certain basics that have to be learned.

However, your teacher is sending up a major red "McDojo" flag. If he graded the individuals higher that attended a costly camp, then he may be trying to send a message to the other folks that didn't go. Beware! If he refuses to discuss your test with you then you need to find another school. Are you locked into an expensive contract?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.