Unruly students

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we had a relatively small seating area, most of the building was the workout area. Also, being from a small southern town, we don't mind watching others' kids and helping out the community. I don't know about where you're from, but around here, it's very common.

Watching other kids is one thing. But to drop off many kids without a parent nearby is another. Kids have a tendancy to behave differently when their parents are not around. And, with a parent present, the parent and child "share" the experience. It is no different when I or my wife had went to my daughter's dance classes. And we are talking about "Unruly Students", those that NEED a parent to stay and observe.

I have loads of ways of dealing with the kids depending on who they are and how they react to my first few calm requests that they behave....

Hehe - I am a very bad man but shouting at kids seems to help with me for some reason!

But that is rarely and as I am unfortunately not around much to help - Kids get scared because they don't realise exactly who I am. For all they know I am a new instructor to them - and one who they don't know well enough to goof off in front of. I just act serious but I teach in as fun a way as possible.

The kids who know me know I am fun and if they mess around I go back to boring drills that make their arms ache.

We commonly give push-ups as punishments but some of our kids don't care. So instead I sometimes make an example of them.

We had one kid that we used to make stand in a little sqare on the floor and do 15 star-jumps everytime he pissed about. if he stepped out of the square he had to start again.

I think some of these systems would work well.... sitting out is an ok idea - as long as the kid isn't still misbehaving from the sidelines. The ticket idea is good too. That also stops parents from using your club as a baby-sitters service.

Some good ideas guys - thanks!

I agree with Shorinryu Sensei on this, if they do it to much they are out, I dont have time for it and the students who are there to really train dont have time for it. And one student isnt going to wreck it for everyone. Ofcourse you have to give everyone a chance, but I'm talking about if it continues. Most of the kids in my kids class learn pretty quick. You just have to make them realize that the dojo is not disneyland and thats what I tell them.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!