• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

24FC What is up???

Makoto

It doesn't have to do with coporations. Blaming the "evil corporations" is far, far too easy and (I feel) irresponsible. We run a hosting service - bandwidth costs money... so hosting costs money and that goes for everyone. Individuals, corporations and so on. It isn't hard to make enough money to cover basic costs. I am an individual myself. So, please don't blame corporations.

Patrick,

I didn't mean that in any way against you or this site, hope you didn't misunderstand.

I meant more that Rob was an individual who put a lot into his site, he gave everything he could and held nothing back. Try to find some of that information, for example, given on the JKA's homepage. The web gives a voice to those who would otherwise be unheard of outside of their little Atlanta suburb.

A lot of other sites out there are very bland and generic, offering nothing to the user. The best ones are those run by a person with a passion. Unfortunately, the reality is that it gets expensive for them to share with others, and the more people who visit, the more expensive it is.

This is all speculation anyways... as Rob didn't give a reason. For all I know, he just got sick of running the site.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that 24FC isn't gone forever as I always found the site informative and thought provoking, even if I didn't always agree with some of the opinions shared there! ;)

Good luck to Rob Redmond in whatever he chooses to do next. If he sets up another website then I hope it is a good as 24FC.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Well, I was there yesterday (4/19/04) and he had made some updates to the forum's PHP code. The changenotes implied that he would be performing more updates.

I understand what you are saying, tommarker. No offense taken, don't worry. :) At the same time, different sites give different information. Some sites have the same information, some sites have other information. None of it really relates to corporations.

Thank you shotochem... I wasn't looking for thanks, just making a point.

Maybe the site isn't done. From what I have seen though (the index page only), it looks as though it is. Still, you never know.

It appears that he has let his 9 year old bird go.....metaphorically speaking, of course. I wonder if he will ever finish his book.....

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I know he had database problems a while back and had to do a lot of work to recover material. Maybe he was hit by a virus or the such and it caused irrepairable damage? I don't know.

It is a pity as I started warming to that site of late.

I agree that the Mu section was the best part.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

I have spoken with Mr. Redmond and he has confirmed that the site is down and will "never be back". He said that the reason was that he got tired and running it and ran out of steam.

His life has a new centre :) His kid, but honeslty I'd leave the site on the internet, even without making updates. It was informative and a good learning tool. I haven't updated the writen material on my site for an year. Still I let the site online to help those who need it (especially beginners).

I thought something happened .. a tragedy or so. Fortunatelly it's just a decision to rest from all the turmoil. I'm happy it's just that and hope Rob will be OK. We thank him for the work and wish him a good life. Looks like he's done what he always adviced: when you feel like you don't want to do something (he reffered to karate, but it's good with every part of the life), at least have the courage to just move on.

All the best.

And Patrick, I see a point in your opinion regarding corporations. We're small and it's always easy to blame the big-bad guy :D