• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One thing you'll learn quickly is that money truly is the root of all evil. Here's a little something that might help you in future situations:

statement:

Hey bud, don't worry about the (insert monetary value here). Whenever you can pay me back, it's cool.

translation:

I'll give you one day. After that, I better get my money or your a## is mine.

statement:

Hey bro, where's that (monetary value) I loaned ya?

translation:

Pay me my money, scumbag, or I'm gonna take it out of your a##.

:D

If you borrow money, pay 'em back the next day. People are funny like that. They may not say it, but they want to be paid back quick. Regardless of the * they might spew when they loan it to you.

Mixed Martial Artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not sure i can offer much to these discussions. Borrowing $5 wasn't an issue, nor should you avoid it just because of this situation. However, it is recommended you borrow from someone you know well... or from a bank. It does sound like this guy has some serious issues, and i doubt he's going to blame the employers for his being fired. I.e., i expect it won't stop there and that he may proceed to exact revenge on you for his being fired.

You mentioned you have a union. I strongly suggest you talk to them about the event. Do mention the supervisors that didn't intervene. Provide a list of witnesses, if you have them. I would consider reporting the assault and battery to the police and definitely recommend a restraining order be written up and delivered to the guy. I recommend you grab $5 (or possibly $10) and put it in an envelope, then request that the employers mail it to this guy for you... or have the union representative do this for you (probably the latter).

I do agree, you should take those few days off to look for another job. Seems they're a little mixed up in their priorities, considering you attempted to 'de-escalate' the conflict, by leaving the scene at least once. But, having a union is a good thing in this case, and so i'll push this on you once again. Seek union counsel.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Most of the jobs that I have worked on had clauses in the contract that state something to the effect: If you get into an altercation at work, whether it's your fault or not, you will be terminated along with everyone else involved.

Of course, you always have the right to seek legal redress, but that doesn't do you much good if your out of work. After all, you have to pay for a lawyer to help you. Kind of hard to do if you're out of work.

You need to decide for yourself how much this job means to you. If you start dropping legal threats to HR, I'm guessing you won't be there much longer, union or not. I know my advice sucks but it's grounded in corporate realism. 3 days is better than being fired out right.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you got suspended for three days because of something you did not start. You must be proud of the amount of restraint you used in defending yourself. I think a lot of people would have really messed this guy up if put in this situation. The sign of a true martial arts practitioner I think. 8)

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

wow, i would have beat his * bloody. twice.

and by the way, if someone tried to fire you for throwing a punch after being hit (thus in self defense) itd likely be illegal to do so (wrongful termination) call the better business bureau or something if they try to pull that.

a broken arm throws no punches