• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seeking Style Choice Guidance: Insight Very Much Appreciated

Colleagues:

I am very much interested in gaining input on choosing a style.

Some background:

I am a 38 year-old male returning to good health after an injury and a period of inactive obesity. I am several months into a weight reduction program and intend to return to martial arts study within six months (after meeting a few fitness goals). I suffer from arthritis in my toes and fingers which will likely limit techniques (I cannot make a closed fist with either hand). In my teens and twenties, I studied shotokan and chinese kempo.

Preferences:

I would prefer a style that has significant combat/self-defense applications

I would prefer a style that is balanced or slightly prefers hand techniques

I would prefer a style suitable to study with my wife (35) and daughter(5)

I need a style that can accomodate my physical limitations

Request for assistance:

I am very interested in hearing the insight of any practicing artists.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Start by finding out what is in your area. Give us a list and we can help you better. Most instructors, as long as you let them know, would work with you or modify techniques if you have limitations (at least the ones I studied with did). So it shouldn't be a problem :)

Laurie F

Have you thought about returning to your studies of Shotokan or Chinese Kempo? Maybe you could give them another go. Being a Shotokan 'freak' I'm always happy to recommend that to people!

I'm sure that most instructors would be happy to have you in their lessons. Just because you have arthritis doesn't mean that you aren't going to be a good student and get benefit out of training. Any instructor that wouldn't want to have you in their club because of your physical limitations isn't worth training under in any case, IMO. Martial arts should be for all!

Good luck in your search for a club. :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

returning after an injury...arthritis in my toes and fingers which will likely limit techniques (I cannot make a closed fist with either hand). ...studied shotokan and chinese kempo.

Preferences: style that has significant combat/self-defense applications, is balanced or slightly prefers hand techniques, suitable to study with wife ) and daughter, can accomodate my physical limitations

I have arthritus, and I've found that the activity of practicing the martial arts helps, except when I overdo it or do something stupid. Sadly, that is way too often the case. I love shin kicks and knees (saves the toes and really more effective any how), forearm and elbow strikes. I'm fortunate that I can still use fists, but I don't major in fist strikes.

If you can find an American Kenpo school, I'd look into it. The style is highly adaptable to the practitioner,and easily acomodates most disabilities. It has one of the most complete arsenals of natural weapons you'll find anywhere, so you are not limmited to a small number of strikes that may not be suited to you. It stresses technique and body mechanics, instead of brute strength, so that it is very effective for women as well as men. AK also teaches understanding of principles and concepts, which developes the mind as well as the body.

AK ballances upper and lower body strikes, and stresses foot maneuvers and use of stances. Everything works together to add power and effectiveness. It also ballances hard and soft, linear and circular movements.

AK is one of the more effective styles for self defense and street applications. It has offensive applications, but is mostly known for its self defense techniques. It is extremely fast, powerful, and deceptive. It teaches all ranges of fighting, including stand up grappling. And it teaches you to work under the force of an assault. It works off body reaction, and makes use of your opponents action to defeat himself.

Good luck in your efforts. And you should go to the articles section of this forum and read SaiFightsMS article about her journey. A lot of hope and inspiration in one short piece. ( :wink: sorry to embarass you sai- but tis true...).

Freedom isn't free!

I'm a shoto freak too, so I say SHOTOKAN!

Anyway ... you'll have to decide. Sometimes you get to study a style you didn't intend to learn, just because you've found a great instructor and a warm dojo. And in the end this is important. There is no ultimate, perfect style, so just search some good and proffesional people and it will be ok. Your wife and daughter can join and in fact it's great to have them involved in it. Your health problems are not the end of the world and still you can be a decent martial artist. Since I've read SaiFights article I'm convinced that indeed there's no limit, except for those we impose ourselves.

Good luck and best wishes