• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Toe to Toe fighting - Need Advice.

Dijita

So here's the situation:

In a tournement I often go up against fighters who as soon as the hand drops get in real close to you and start punching you like crazy and try to move you around. No problem, I'll just punch back and try to build some space to throw some kicks. But my problem is, what do I do when my opponent is a lot bigger than me?

I was in a tournement yesterday and I'm 130 lbs, and the other girls are between 160-190lbs I figure. I could not fight toe to toe with these girls. I won my first fight because I managed to connect a head hit. However I was being moved around a lot of the match. My second fight, I got killed. The girl moved me all over the mat, and the judges called in her favor of course.

So my dilemna is that I'm thinking if I move around the mat and attack when I see an opening it might be better than trying to go toe to toe. However I'm kinda of wondering if I move around too much would the judges call in the other persons favor?

Anyways, after all that verbage, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fight someone who is a lot bigger than you and tries to fight you toe to toe?

Just for your info, these are Kyokushin full contact tournements; full contact to the body and legs, excluding the knees, light contact to the head.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Work you shifting and side stepping.

When they rush block and move and look to counter with moves such as roundhouse kick, backfiests, etc. Use your jab and lead leg front kick to slow down their rush. A spinning back kick may be a good idea as well espically if they think you are going to run.

But work your distancing and counter stepping to move arround the opponent while they rush you.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree with G95champ. Probably the only way to work a fight if you are physically smaller is to work on counters and practice a ton (unless you're a smaller person who is really pretty darn fast).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Fighting someone larger, I'd have to say speed and footwork. Move to their side to neutralize half their weapons and get out of the way of their attack. Don't let them push you around, lead them around. Be where they don't want you, do your dammage and get out before they get turned. Don't wear yourself out running, move outside on an oblique, strike, and move out. If you can use elbows and heel palms in a tournament, work these for when they get on you close. And a well applied shoulder can jam their attack, or be used as a weapon in its own rite. Also, in close, learn to check and work their base. It's hard to generate an effective attack when someone elses stances are manipulating yours. Just some thoughts- I don't know much about Kyokushin. Hope they help some.

Freedom isn't free!

A good sweep will require her to be in close, which isn't where she wants to be.

footwork and distancing are the name of the game. Work your double jab, and also front, side and roundhouse kicks. use the jab and front kick to establish and maintain distance. Use the sidekick defensively. Use the roundhouse for offense. When working the double jab, circle around them. for any other punches you attempt, use your footwork. Get in, punch, get out.

So my dilemna is that I'm thinking if I move around the mat and attack when I see an opening it might be better than trying to go toe to toe.

Yes. Trying to fight their fight is putting you at a disadvantage.

However I'm kinda of wondering if I move around too much would the judges call in the other persons favor?

Judges vary. However, if you work your fight, rather than your opponent's fight, it will show. Also, there's absolutely no such thing as, "moving around too much." As long as you are actively fighting and keeping your opponent frustrated, your movement is just right.

Judges, as knowledgeable as some of them are, they are not the people you should be trying to please. It is you. Focus on becoming a better martial artist. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 2 weeks later...

Some large people commit to their strikes too much. I recently faced off with a larger competitor who's strikes took too long to rechamber. All I had to do was time them, and spin back kick him pretty darn hard in the gut. People with longer limbs have much more of themselves to keep track of, and this especially goes with "oversized" competitors who although are capable of generating power are usually a pitfall to slowing down.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Taisabaki, or body shifting is one of your best tactics for this sort of situation. Also, shifting and sweeping doesn't mean you have to be in close, just make sure you practice and practice and practice sweeping while on the go, i.e. stepping back and sweeping. Also, try defending by taking their own attacks and deflecting them off balance.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

can u see the person coming or are they right in ur face before u know it...cuz if u have time enough to react and they are rushing straight in then they are just asking to get nailed...i know someone who has a habit of walking straight forward into me while we are training and if they pursue u let them...u start off with space in between u at the beginning of the match so right before they get to u belt them with a sidekick...if they are pursuing u like that their dodging capabilites will be horrible...if they are kicking u up close dont block with ur hands...block with ur feet and keep focused on their hands...as its been said before if u can use effective footwork then u can throw off their rhythm and at that point they will either have to keep taking punishment from u or back off...and just likein boxing keep the elbows tucked so u can jab quick and keep up a guard........

Belts are for holding your pants up.......