Drunken Boxing.......useless?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it, Drunken Boxing is designed to make your moves deceptive and tricky to predict. However, in reality, you don't need to worry about unpredictableness as much as you have to worry about blinding speed and power. I still haven't discounted any other practicalities. Just my 2 cents.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I don't know. The more I am exposed to other martial arts, the less inclined I am to discount ant art as useless until I've seen it at work. Drunken style would be interesting to see, though. And I wouldn't assume they don't have speed or power, either. Don't know 'till you try it (or someone trrys it on you).

Freedom isn't free!

I agree with Delta. You never know until you experience it yourself.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I've never fought anyone who used Drunken Boxing, but I have fought a few drunken boxers ;-)

Anyway...

Here are some of my theories on Drunken Boxing's use of booze...

1. It helped to create a state of joy during training - always useful to encourage folks to stick with an art and do loads of practice.

2. It brings about a state of relaxation. In WC we consider relaxation in our movements to be of primary importance, as it is the relaxation which allows us speed and power as well as sensitivity. Could be a factor for the drunken boxing guys too.

3. The psychology theory (which I completely support) 'State Dependent Learning' tells us - "If you're gonna fight when you're drunk, practice when you're drunk."

4. Have you ever tried to pick up a smallish unwilling child from the floor and they just go limp ? (Generally when it's their bedtime and they want to watch more TV) It makes it so much more difficult. Now imagine trying to manhandle a big guy who is employing such 'dead weight' energy - people who are really drunk are like that...

SO there ya go. Probably all crap, but who knows.

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

I've never learned drunken, but I've seen it. The instructor in question applies a drunken "template" to other information.

I suppose my first impression is that it is similar to a really good Systema guy doing Bagua... of course those are two arts only slightly better known than drunken boxing :)

I've never fought anyone who used Drunken Boxing, but I have fought a few drunken boxers ;-)

Anyway...

Here are some of my theories on Drunken Boxing's use of booze...

1. It helped to create a state of joy during training - always useful to encourage folks to stick with an art and do loads of practice.

2. It brings about a state of relaxation. In WC we consider relaxation in our movements to be of primary importance, as it is the relaxation which allows us speed and power as well as sensitivity. Could be a factor for the drunken boxing guys too.

3. The psychology theory (which I completely support) 'State Dependent Learning' tells us - "If you're gonna fight when you're drunk, practice when you're drunk."

4. Have you ever tried to pick up a smallish unwilling child from the floor and they just go limp ? (Generally when it's their bedtime and they want to watch more TV) It makes it so much more difficult. Now imagine trying to manhandle a big guy who is employing such 'dead weight' energy - people who are really drunk are like that...

SO there ya go. Probably all crap, but who knows.

>>>PS<<<

drunken doesn't actually use booze... It stems from one of the stories of how the system began. There was a monk who was kicked out of the monestary. He got drunk, and in his drunken rage, he returned to the monestary and took out like 30 people. The next morning, he recalled what he had done and the techniques he had used in his drunken stupor. These techniques became the foundation of drunken boxing.

when i went to the shaolin temple a few years back one group was learing drunken form. I saw one of the monks denenstrate the stumbling walking motions they do. he knocked the person he was demenstrating on about 5 feet backwards stright onto his back. the monk was about 5'6 maybe 130 pounds the guy he flattned out was about 240 and 6'3 if it had no other application besides that one move ide say it was worth learning. here is some real info about drunken stlye in choy lay fut from a master. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=438