• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku traditional cord vs the chain

SaiFightsMS

I prefer cord.

Having said this, I realize that most of the corded nunchaku you can buy these days stink. However, with a little patience and dedication, you can make a $5.00 pair of nunchaku last as long as a $60.00 pair.

The first thing I look for is the weight. The Red Oak type seem to be a bit spotty in terms of quality, and some sound almost hollow. I will go through the bin and look for the heaviest pair. Then I look for any cracks. The ones that are painted black seem to be more flawed (As if they are trying to cover it up)

When I get home, I cut that horrible cord out, since it will fray and break within 2 weeks.

Then I get the sandpaper block out and work that nasty slick red/orange coating off. Apply a few layers of tung oil and leave them to dry overnight. Lightly rub them with steel wool, and apply another coating if you want.

Then, I re-string them with 550 paracord. http://www.geocities.com/hppycam/newparachutecord.html

I have one pair that was re-strung 5 years ago and hasn't even started to fray.

http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/sskbuki/howto/nunstring01.htm

As with any weapon, you should probably inspect them for weaknesses before using them... Especially at a testing, demonstration, etc.

As for chain, I have broken a few chains in the past, but haven't learned the best way to re-chain them. Ball bearings should be kept lubricated and stored properly. WD-40 attracts gunk, so I use White Lightning.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've never purchased a pair of Nunchaku. All my nunchaku are home made and have lasted through years of use/abuse. I wanted them to last, so I used chain, however I am contemplating stringing a pair with string to try.

And thanks for the info tommarker. I'll use it to string mine.