• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you use karate?

Monkeymagic

Thank you for your information all

searcher - did you choose karate because it focussed on defence? This seemed to be the reason you took it up, did you look at any other martial arts which may have been more intimidating to the bullies?

':)'

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could go back in time and choose to start a martial art again I think that I'd still choose karate. It has a bit of everything - striking but with grappling, locks, throws, sweeps, pressure points, weapons, street defence etc etc. You just have to look hard and train hard with it.

I'd still like to learn and try other styles, but karate will always be my first love.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Monkeymagic

thanks for the invite

i choose karate because originally in the mid 70's as a 7yr old my father took me it could have been train spotting so i count myself lucky no seriously i feel karate as suited me all these yrs i now train jujitsu too but class my roots in wado one thing i have never done is rubbished any martial art each has somthing in there to take somthing from and i respect anybody who does any MA

my children now train regular so the cycle goes on

ps

thanks dad for not taking me to train spotting

theres no one style just your style---------

Wado_lee - How important is Karate to your life now? What do you use it for? What aspects encourage you to continue participating and encouraged you to get your children involved?

:karate:

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

Monkeymagic- I was not always interested in "karate" for self-defense. I grew up watching alot of old kung fu inspired and samurai type movies. This is what I would say peaked my interest in karate. At the time when I finally got to start studying it was more for self-defense reasons than probably any other. As for a more "intimidating" style, I had very few choices in what I studied and I had a friend already in the school. Now as to a more intimidating style I have found that it is not the style that makes the difference, but the one performing. I have had extensive military training and the techniques that are taught to the military is what I had learned as a low rank, the difference is that in the military most are in excellent shape and they can make almost anything work. Ihope this helps out.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

i have a friend (red triangle student) who goes there and he asked me to come along and see what it is like and now im training and i think it is boss

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

Ironberg, trekmann and krunchyfrogg - why did you choose karate over other martial arts?

':-?'

I live underneath my dojo (literally). Can't beat that commute, and life at home sucks if I don't make it in!

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

i have a friend (red triangle student) who goes there and he asked me to come along and see what it is like and now im training and i think it is boss

What motivates you to continue?

All - Is there an end game in karate for you? How far will you go?

Could you also comment on my 'Did the 'west' change the 'eastern' meaning of using karate?' on the internal arts forum.

8)

When I was a kid in the late 60's, I was very serious in to Table Tennis and tournaments (still am at 48). One day, there was a JKA class next to where we were playing Table Tennis at our club (huge club at the time). I noticed that the body actions, techniques, etc., were "exactly the same." Except, much faster, stronger, and more control. From that day on I wanted to take Karate to improve my table tennis. I took up JKA karate in the early 70's with Nishiyama sensei.

After years of Karate, it became an art to me - the art of perfection. Yes, I'm a perfectionist - proud of it. But not "nit-picky" though... :) After years of team training, it just bacame a way of life.

- Killer Miller -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

i also think that karate is a very effective martial art.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!