• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Love at first punch!

ShotoMan

Okay, here is a totally different subject for you!!

You go on a karate day course and at that day course is a person who - without laying a single finger or toe on you - knocks you off your feet! Yes, I am talking about being bowled over by a beautiful face; a perfect smile, etc here!

You would think that in an environment dedicated to martial arts, soft and goofy feelings could never ever raise their tiny heads?! Well they did for me.

I am due to attend a course in the very near future and I know for a fact this "special person" will be there - you can 95% count on it! Now if life is fair, this very same person will not be single and so the whole saga ends quite quickly BUT... what if that is not the case?

Assuming you knew for a fact that "said" person was single, would you dare to ask out another karateka? The whole thought (in my whole lifetime) has never, ever crossed my mind. Weird but true!

Isn't life fun?

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, if you find out she's single... go and ask her out! Just because she's a fellow karateka doesn't mean that she can't have feelings or consider going out with another karateka.

Good luck ShotoMan. I hope it goes well for ya!

Enjoy the course too. ;)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

As long as you work like you should in the class and she does it too, I really don't know what the problem would be. Just don't get distracted.

Life is sometimes a great jester and likes to play with us. I've met my BF in a weird way too. I'm a radio DJ and he's been writing for almost 2 years to ask for some songs (it's a show I do on sundays). After 2 years we just went for a coffee. To meet like some old friends who never saw each other's face. No need to say we got hooked. I don't know when it happened, but it did.

So, even though it would be considerred funny, go for it. Maybe you'd find the love of your life. And yes, I say go to this girl and tell her what you feel about her (not just like that, ask her out ... you know ...)

And GOOD LUCK.

PS. Having her in the same class could solve the problem of "yeah. of course. you are going to that stinky karate class. Instead of staying with me ...." :D

I personally had a rather bad experience in this area, but I'd still go for it as long as you can keep the friendliness outside the dojo.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I look at it this way. You would have something in common, and a partner to train with all the time. Now that would be tops. :D

Surely in the annals of Karate history many couples have met practising the art. 8)

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

Thank you folks. It's a tough one as I live a long way away from her, too. So hence that does not help. I could always move address I suppose? :roll:

She really is something else.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

Unless you're under 18 and can't really go anywhere without parent's permission.. that shouldn't be so bad if she lives far away from you.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

FiA shoto freak too, so I say SHOTOKAN!

Anyway ... you'll have to decide. Sometimes you get to study a style you didn't intend to learn, just because you've found a great instructor and a warm dojo. And in the end this is important. There is no ultimate, perfect style, so just search some good and proffesional people and it will be ok. Your wife and daughter can join and in fact it's great to have them involved in it. Your health problems are not the end of the world and still you can be a decent martial artist. Since I've read SaiFights article I'm convinced that indeed there's no limit, except for those we impose ourselves.

Good luck and best wishes