• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi all

Chang

:o Hello all. I am new here. I don't personally study martial arts anymore but my son does. He is 6 years of age and is a little dragons green belt with one tip. He has currently been studying American Kenpo Karate for about 14 months now. I signed up to this forum because I currently would like to see what is going on in the martial arts world and I have a few questiongs to ask. Thank you all

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome, Chang. My base is American Kenpo, and it is an excellent style. Schools do their childrens programs differently, so I'd be interested in how your sons class is done. Do they do the full program, just selected techniques, or a serries of drills similar to one steps?

And, go ahead and ask us any questions you want. Someone will usually tell you something, whether we really know the answer or not! :D Just kidding. There are actually some pretty knowlegable people here, and a wide range of experience. Good to have you here.

Freedom isn't free!

:o Thank you for the hospitality. The childrens program ranges from 6 to 8, but my son was allowed to enter when he was 5. The little dragons program allows them to learn their basics, and different self defense techniques. 3 techniques per belt. They also learn Form 1 in different phases per belt. Also a couple of kicking sets, block sets, universal sets, and elbow sets. So I guess I would say it would be considered a half program cause they learn all the moves, just not all the forms or self defense techniques as the adults. He very much likes American Kenpo. In his first tournament he took 1st in forms and 2nd in point sparring. Our next one will be the U.S. Open in Fla. this year.

Take care

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like your son is off to a good start. Tell him to keep up the hard work.:)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Welcome to KF and congratulations to your son on doing so well in his first tournament!

You said you don't personally study MA anymore, what style(s) did you train in when you were training?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!