• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

back fist.

blitzcraig

I have problems looking for the basic back fist when its sailing towards my head. I know how to block it but i can never see it comming. Do you all have some advice for me to be aware of this deadly move?

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All moves can be better spotted if, during combat, focus on the opponents solar plexus area instead of teh eyes and head. This means all their limbs are fully in your vision and you can react more quickly to any incoming threat. be especially wary if they turn sideways to you, as then a backfist is an extremely likely technique

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Yep, try and make sure you've got their hands and arms in your field of vision at all times. Don't JUST concentrate on that, though, or you'll miss that mawashigeri that's gonna smack you in the side of the head... :D

I'm sure with practice you'll get the hand of trying to do 90 things at once (which is what sparring always felt like to me the first few times of doing it).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yea, it takes time. Like last night we did 1 point elimination sparring and this one purple belt ran the class. I was the last to spar him and wanted to hit him w/ a spinning heal kick cuz he kept leaving his head open and comming in on people, but since he knows i like kicks he didnt come in on me. We exchanged a few blows, all blocked, and then out of knowere, he backfisted me...simple, yet effective. So now i know one more thing to work on.

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

So now i know one more thing to work on.

Aye, there's always something for martial artists to work on!!

Just when you think you've got it sorted... along pops another thing for you to try and get right. :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

U've got to remeber to watch their eyes too, they can tell alot.

I disagree. Watch my eyes, and you'll miss my feet in your groin or lower abdomen. I tell my people to watch the center of the chest or a bit lower to see everything. Plus some people (my origional sensei for example) are very good at psyching you out with their eyes. I try that and people just laugh at me. :bawling:

As for why you can't see a backfist coming..how are you standing in relation to your opponent? Straight on in a front stance, or sideways to them? if sideways, he might be coming from in back of you just at the edge of your peripherial (spelling?) vision.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Like all has stated, try to keep the entire body in view. Perhaps work on your lateral movement, as well as the "bob & weave" with the upper half of your body. That way it'll give you an angled look at any incoming strikes. Just my 2 cents :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

double post in error. apologies.

Edited by returning_wave

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

U've got to remeber to watch their eyes too, they can tell alot.

also disagree im afraid - the eyes arent gonna hit you. if you watch the solar plexus area you have the actual weapons - arms, legs and head all in view - if you watch the eyes its almost impossible to see a kick/knee attack coming. Plus as someone said higher up people can drain your confidence with stares or make you laugh/lose concentration.

Taijutsu