• advertisement_alt

Traditional vs Modern

xmusashi17

Which type of martial art is better on a real life situation  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of martial art is better on a real life situation

• Traditional
    • Modern

I practice a traditional form of Karate. I know absolutely nothing about modern martial arts. This question is for those who have trained with both genres. Which style is more usefull in a real life situation (not a surprise attack) Traditional or Modern. Again, this question is only for those who practiced both genres.

-X

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think personally that the difference between traditional and modern styles are only in the appoarch to training and focus on style of fighting.

Modern martial arts are soups of other styles learned more faster. Traditional arts were focused a lot on repetition.

1.st kyu Shotokan Karate

1.st dan Aikido

Both have benifits,

I would be inclined to say 'modern' martial arts are more effective. But if a traditional martial art is trained in a realistic way(which is possible) then it would be equally effective.

i study both tradition : okinawan goju ryu and something like a moden version of Shito Ryu . i belive that the traditional okinawan Goju Ryu would be more effective . The Techqniques are much more powerful and while performing kata there has been no change which shows the traditional and original bunkais for the katas which mostly rely on strong self defense techniques in a real life situation . modern karate tend only to be quick but not powerful blows like old traditional styles.

cross is right modern karate concentrates more on the competition area of karate . which cant be used for street self defense unless u wanna jump around like a bunny and want to play tag with em . by then u will be dead

I would echo the fact that modern is very tippy, tappy competition based.

I would also say that if you are hoping that karate will make you into a good fighter, then you may have a long wait. Some people are born natural fighters and whether they do karate or not, you still will find them hard to beat in a face off.

Against the average *-hole, karate will give you an advantage if not only the shock of landing a good mawashi-geru to their head or keagi to their chin. As you progress through higher grades, you will become very much acustomed to being attacked so can keep your cool in such situations.

Most people tend to back off once you knock them on their * from just blocking whatever they have just tried to hit you with.

Good fun

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

I think personally that the difference between traditional and modern styles are only in the appoarch to training and focus on style of fighting.

Modern martial arts are soups of other styles learned more faster. Traditional arts were focused a lot on repetition.

modern arts do plenty of repetition...probably more. Most "modern" have fewer strikes than traditional systems, and we practice them constantly via sparring, bag work and focus mitt drills.

Also modern karate is ususally more focused on competiton.

Okay, this is a different animal. When I hear "modern" I usually think in terms of thai boxing and boxing, as sport arts are what people generally refer to as "modern" these days.

Between modern karate and traditional, I would say traditional, however, it will vary from school to school and teacher to teacher. When I was training traditional karate, we sparred very hard, did lots of repetition. With the modern stuff, we focused more on kata, and the sparring was light contact.

I like traditional because in kata I visualize doing horrible things to my attacker. This is crucial because it creates strength of spirit and a bloodlust that if fully unleashed in combat would overwhelm your average joe. That is not something you can aquire in sparring because you must maintain a level of respect for that person. My attacker in kata dies everytime and I kick him while he is down then I pick him up so I can hit him some more. So when it comes time to defend myself I set upon that person a terrible force of will that only comes from the visualization of properly practicing kata.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro