• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching vs. Kicking....

I think body shots are very useful, particularly if they are faster than you. However i would use my knees to the body rather than my fists as knees are more solid and more powerful.

--------

Wow, that was long! 8)

:wink: told you

Seize the day!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not true. Everything you mentioned is legal in mma, except groin shots.

You're allowed to kick to the knees? I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. I'm just suprised they don't try to take out the kneecaps and joints more often! (Maybe they do and I better start renting more fight videos.)

I think this is because of practicality... the knee is a good target, as is the throat, damage wise, but practically, how easily can you strike the throat of someone with chin tucked, hands up, body moving, etc? Same with the knee. you have a man constatnly in motion, keeping his knee bent, making it harder for you to extend, and all the while, he's attacking you furiously. The knee is a fairly small target, and if you attack it and miss, you may be done. Now, I do see the practicality of a roundhouse to the knee, however, it's harder to damage the knee in this manner, making a leg kick to the sciatic more effective. (even though I am currently nursing a strained meniscus from a roundhouse to the knee)

• 4 months later...

I think this is because of practicality... the knee is a good target, as is the throat, damage wise, but practically, how easily can you strike the throat of someone with chin tucked, hands up, body moving, etc? Same with the knee. you have a man constatnly in motion, keeping his knee bent, making it harder for you to extend, and all the while, he's attacking you furiously. The knee is a fairly small target, and if you attack it and miss, you may be done. Now, I do see the practicality of a roundhouse to the knee, however, it's harder to damage the knee in this manner, making a leg kick to the sciatic more effective. (even though I am currently nursing a strained meniscus from a roundhouse to the knee)

Is it really so terribly impractical to furiously attack the throat? Maybe it is, I'm no expert. I'll take your word on it I suppose.

i.e. they grab your shirt with one hand and hit u with the other, it's really bad if they get your jersey over your head. Here is where the grappling, aikido hapkido comes in very useful. It's really easy to pivot and lock the arm or if your good, the wrist. It also stops the fight cold as the guy is in too much pain to do anything then u can break it up eithout anyone ever getting hurt. NEVER go to the ground in a street fight. So in final analysis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know a great tech for this.When they grab your shirt...take the begining of an ikkyo(just the grabbing of their hand),then when they throw the punch....QUICKLY place your other hand in the bend of their arm while pivoting 90 degrees to the inside of the punch and rotate the punching hand up and around the elbow of the grabbing hand.Then reinforce your ikkyo by placing their punching hand against the elbow of the grabbing hand and change the ikkyo into a nikkyo.This will drop them to their knees.At this point a forward thrusting knee will end any chances of them being a model.

Demons live in the shadows of this world where the uncritical mind fails to shine the light of reason.

Be nice to animals.

punches are just more reliable, accurate, and faster then kicks, legs weigh more then arms, and you have your legs to depend on for balance, not your arms thats why punches can be thrown more rapidly then kicks and dont require as much energy, mike tyson for example can punch and is a very dangerous man , he is a warrior , he will dominate k1, no one will want to fight him because they know they cannot punch as hard as him and have never been in real fights, mike has 54 fights in the ring with that experiance very few will be able to outsmart him, those are the facts.

You joking right????Tyson would get killed in K-1!NO NO NO,Tyson isn't currently an active fighter,how the heck is he gonna fight any of these guys?His first "not gonna happen match" is Jerome Le Banner.Tyson would be killed!

Secondly, White Warlock has only posted one reply to this thread and owned it.

Demons live in the shadows of this world where the uncritical mind fails to shine the light of reason.

Be nice to animals.

punches are just more reliable, accurate, and faster then kicks, legs weigh more then arms, and you have your legs to depend on for balance, not your arms thats why punches can be thrown more rapidly then kicks and dont require as much energy, mike tyson for example can punch and is a very dangerous man , he is a warrior , he will dominate k1, no one will want to fight him because they know they cannot punch as hard as him and have never been in real fights, mike has 54 fights in the ring with that experiance very few will be able to outsmart him, those are the facts.

You joking right????Tyson would get killed in K-1!NO NO NO,Tyson isn't currently an active fighter,how the heck is he gonna fight any of these guys?His first "not gonna happen match" is Jerome Le Banner.Tyson would be killed!

Secondly, White Warlock has only posted one reply to this thread and owned it.

the battousai is correct. punches ARE more reliable. you retain your balance, they are faster, have faster recovery time, etc. tyson would definitely be a force in k-1. Whomever he fight will have make excellent use of the push kick to keep him off of them, and remember to try and roundhouse his front leg as he plants on it to throw a punch. If they can't do that, he will eat them for lunch.

Is it really so terribly impractical to furiously attack the throat? Maybe it is, I'm no expert. I'll take your word on it I suppose.

it's a legitmate target area. the problem is that when your chin is tucked, head is moving and attacks are being thrown, it's a hard target to hit, as it's not very exposed.

"and try throwing a knife"

throwing a knife is hard, and unless you practice two hours a day with them, your chances of hitting a person is slim.

Make'm cry or get disqualified.

The more you sweat in the dojo, the less you bleed on the streets.