• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching vs. Kicking....

hmm, oversimplistic....

yes the head might be the 'best' target but in most cases it is also the most guarded.

part of winning a fight is how you prevent your opponent from being able to fight back.

to this end, kicks/stamps/sweeps are used to 'fight' the legs.

if you've stamped on his knee, crushed the top of his foot with your heel and twisted his ankle then you can better deal with his head because he now has more things to worry about.

simply saying that hitting the head wins fights is not seeing the whole picture.

the boxing example is slightly sked because they don't ha e access to legs as weapons.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

punches are just more reliable, accurate, and faster then kicks, legs weigh more then arms, and you have your legs to depend on for balance, not your arms thats why punches can be thrown more rapidly then kicks and dont require as much energy, mike tyson for example can punch and is a very dangerous man , he is a warrior , he will dominate k1, no one will want to fight him because they know they cannot punch as hard as him and have never been in real fights, mike has 54 fights in the ring with that experiance very few will be able to outsmart him, those are the facts.

ladies email me for some fun

hmm, when you put it so succinctly, i have to agree.

if i could only choose one, i too would go for punches.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

:P I agree punch! But if i had a choice between a good body shot or a head shot I would take the body shot in a street fight. I have never seen one used in a street fight but Ive used my kness in one and winded the guy so bad he crawled off. Also when the cops showed up I was blood spatter free. And I've seen lots of guys take terrible punishment to the head and kepp going. Never seen anybody get sent to the ER yet for a body shot. Thats good.

Donkey

Umm... why differentiate? In a ring, things are very different. Rules set the pace for what can and cannot be applied. Some include minimum kick counts. Some, don't allow either kicks or punches... so... pull it out of the ring if you want to look at it with any viable perspective. Also, put yourself in the picture, not Mike Tyson, Superfoot Wallace, Batman or Jimmy Cagney.

In a confrontation, if i had to choose between punch or kick, i would choose the one at the moment that provided the most advantage over my opponent.

But, honestly... punch vs kick... that's so friggin' limiting. I mean, how many of you go to a fancy restaurant only to be served a menu that offers a choice of hamburgers or hotdogs? Granted, their popular and can satisfy the hunger, but is that all there is to a meal?!?

Hey, i'm tired... so forgive my silly analogies. When i'm tired i have a tough time dealing with such limited comparisons. :roll:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

A rounhouse may generate more power than a straight punch, but you can throw at least 3 times as many punches as you can kicks.

I work on a basis that kicking is 5 time more exhuasting than punching. I thinnk unless its a round house to the head the straight punch to the head is more effective.

Seize the day!

I dissagree... Personally kicking is only 2xs more difficult but has twice the power and twice the amount of satisfaction in landing a strike. Punches have their place, as WWarlock spoke, but it's different for everybody.

But, I have a preference for kicks because they complement my body type (tall, compact, long-legged, and flexible). Everyone has a different body type, but every art still has something to offer him/her. I've seen short people excel at kicking because of amazing agility and combo style, but I've seen very few tall legit practitioners who don't prefer to kick.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."