• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching vs. Kicking....

or how about the wing chun way.

stamp/kick to knee then scrape down the shin to impact onto the top of the foot.

then if you're positioned for it, drag foot to take balance.

BUT

as the intelligent ones amongst you will note, all of this depends on what range you are in and what you have been trained to do.

punch, kick, it's all in the mind....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally think a kick is kore effective as my legs are more powerful thanm my arms they have a longer reach and they can snap back quicker than my arm can.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

thank you mart what a kind and nice compliment you have just paid me.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

I couldn't agree with Jiyn more. For me, kicks are stronger, have all kinds of reach thanks to the knee strike, and sometimes more speed. Though my fists have more snap they do not have the same reach, same penetration power, etc.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Yes but i dought you could throw a fast combination with your feet like you can with your hands.

Also how useful are kicks in close rnage, i know i can punch in medium and close range, kicks get a bit tied up here. Kicks also arent so easy on uneven surfaces, they leave you less well balanced and can be hard to use in confined spaces. All worth bearing in mind i believe.

Seize the day!

:x How many of u guys have actually been in street fights? First of all they are way faster than sparring. Second it is rarely a one on one thing. Third it is usually in a crowd or some other sort of bad environment or ground condition. Here are a couple of techniques which do work in street fights (I've been very unfortunate in many instances and no I could not run). Jab, Palm heel jab, Muy Thai basic push kick to groin, hip or lower, haymaker punch, full armed slap. Here in Canada a lot of people will attack u with a basic hockey fight style i.e. they grab your shirt with one hand and hit u with the other, it's really bad if they get your jersey over your head. Here is where the grappling, aikido hapkido comes in very useful. It's really easy to pivot and lock the arm or if your good, the wrist. It also stops the fight cold as the guy is in too much pain to do anything then u can break it up eithout anyone ever getting hurt. NEVER go to the ground in a street fight. So in final analysis the best technique is a jab. It's fast, accurate, painful and it will usually stop your opponent and give u time to decide your next course of action. PS talking and running away have gotten me out of 99% percent of bad situations. Also if u hurt your opponent in even the slightest way then press charges immediately. A lot of guys I know who won 100% justifiable altercations were sued by the SOB's. One friend of mine got sent to jail for stopping some guy from beating up his girlfriend in public:P Edited by Fat Donkey

Donkey

the jab by nature is a weak punch. it is by no means the most effective street punch. the cross is far more powerful. Also, you act as if you have the choice of not going to the ground... you don't always have that choice, and if you go down, you had better know how to get back up. Your "final analysis" is somewhat flawed... Also, the effects of a groin shot will vary from person to person. I've been in fights, gotten kicked in the jimmy and not felt it at all until after the fight was over, due to the adrenaline rush.

The haymaker has success, but is a poor punch. If you KNOW how to punch, then opt for a hook, not a haymaker.