• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching vs. Kicking....

I would like too know what you think is more effective in any type of street fight. Any type of punch or any type of kick. Which is more effective in a fight? We will say a regular forward punch vs a roundhouse. Saying the person is of medium build.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about grappling? What about knee strikes? What about joint locks?

Anyway, I find that you have to mix it up to surprise the opponent and make him possibly back off and think to himself "Damn, this guy must know how to fight". If he too is trained to fight, then I'd have to judge the distance between you and your enemy. A long range of about 2 meters or so and you should use your legs to keep the distance but close range and try throwing a knife hand or a rigid to his neck/upper body followed by a knee or hook to the kidney.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

There are so many weapons of the human body:

1. Fists (including fingers, and open-handed pu-bah).

2. Feet (including shin-bones).

3. Knees.

4. Elbows.

5. Forearms.

6. Front of scull.

7. Shoulder (a rhino ram can have it's place :wink: ).

8. Raw muscle force (grappling)

Each has a timing, sense of place unique to everyone. A person fights of of his strengths. If the person is tall and agile with a strong lower body, kicking could possibly be even a natural reaction. A person lower to the ground with a stronger upper-body has a natural disposition for punching and grappling (usually). I say usually because everyone is different, and prejudicing different body types can end up being a weakness on your part. On the subject of kicking and punching, it's like asking which is a better tool: hammer or a hacksaw.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Each will be more effective in varying situations. But, I do believe that in the "average street fight" punches are thrown more than anything else. So, I guess punches are more popular, atleast.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Obviously you use what is effective in the situation, but I'd say that a punch gives decent power and a lot more mobility. I'd be too afraid of compromising my balance with a kick if it was blocked / dodged.

Don't rule out a low kick to the kneecap, tho.

8. Raw muscle force (grappling)

why do you group raw muscle force with grappling?

I should have specified what type of grappling I was envisioning. I agree, lots of grappling is designed to unbalance your attacker's force. However, every time I've experimented with grappling or wrestled with some friends, it's always been a good workout comparable to swimming in some ways.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

What's more effective? The one that connects solidly with a vital spot. But the other probably set that shot up, so who's to say? Do both. Why limmit yourself?

Freedom isn't free!

I think a good kick can only be effective if you've got good punches to back it up. For example, you may be proficient at kicking, and suck at punching. Anytime you kick, your attacker is either going to jump back to avoid it or rush in to jam the kick (and he'll only back up so many times). If every time he gets within punching range you tag him up with a couple of good ones, he'll be reluctant to be so close, which I believe would make kicks much easier to throw/land.

I would kick in the shin. It's imparrable. And if done properly you'll have an oponent crawling in pain. I've done it before and it's simple and paiful. Or the kneecap if it's nasty. I can't believe the excrucianting pain would be very easy put aside so the attacker could stand up and fight. Of course there are cases and cases. Sometimes you can solve your problem with a roundhouse kick, sometimes the attacker could catch it and your technique wouldn't work and so on.

We can only hope at the time being we'll be able to feel the technique needed and end the fight. We can train and try to be realistic about everything.