• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there any way to get out of a triangle choke hold?

I'm not trying to get into a flame war here, but I've even searched for this defense all over the internet. The most common defense for a rear naked: tuck your chin into the crook of the elbow. Nowhere have I found anything that would justify that much space between the arm and the body.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are really getting me confluused!!! :-?

Ive tried the chin to the elbow with limited results. (The dude has big arms and is taller than me) If I have an arm free the only shot I have is a groin shot and even then theres not much time to pull it off.

Could you guys please post a picture?

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

This is the most common escape from a rear naked in MMA:

Assuming his right bicep is around your neck and the left arm is wrapped around your head.

1) What you want to do first is to relieve pressure by pulling his right forearm downward and getting your chin tucked in a bit. (As much as you can tuck your chin, the better as it will relieve pressure)

2) Roll on your back (your stomach should facing the sky/ceiling and your opponent is on his/her back.

3) Next once you have relieved pressure (or a lot of it and your chin is tucked in, with your right hand, try to pull his LEFT forearm (preferable the wrist) away from your head. (You dont want that arm wrapped around your head) While you tuck your chin in more to the point where its hard for him to choke you.

4) Now use TWO of your hands to pull that left arm away from your head (Pull it as it was a lever, as you will). It is impossible for him to choke you now with one arm and your chin tucked althoug it will be uncomfortable. While you are pulling his left arm away from your head, keep moving your head to the left side to the ground then your shoulders.

5) While you are moving your head/shoulders away from him, move your hips away too (towards the left side) and now put your hands on his

hips and push him away from you. By moving your knees up and pushing him away will help too and will prevent him from doing a mount on you.

There are certain techniques to counter that, like an armbar from the back mount but since i'm trying to focus a technique at a time I will post that up soon.

Also, make sure you keep limited open space near your armpit. Extending your arm and creating space there will open you up for an armlock of some kind.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

If you use the other technique, you'll tap out before you know what hit you.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

Gumbi is correct.

Say the guy has your back with his hooks in. Your right arm goes over your head so your right bicep is against your right ear. This means he cannot get his hand through the gap to grab your lapel. Your left hand is going across your body, your hand just under your right armpit.

When your opponent tries to reach around with his right hand, your left hand grabs it, your right arm comes down and traps it and you move onto your right hip, squashing his arm and nailing his bottom leg to the ground. Then shrimp your hips out and escape to side control.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

I'm not about to argue with a black belt in BJJ, but am I the only one in the MA community that thinks that extending your arm like that is asking for trouble? Like I said, if I see a picture, that will help a lot, but anyone that has ever tried to do that to me I have choked out.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

It's not a move that would sound like it would work, but it really does. Royce Gracie taught it at the last seminar he did in Melbourne. It works because when the guy passes his arm around your armpit to choke you, you can catch it and trap it. It's more of a preventative move than an escape.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

I'm not about to argue with a black belt in BJJ, but am I the only one in the MA community that thinks that extending your arm like that is asking for trouble? Like I said, if I see a picture, that will help a lot, but anyone that has ever tried to do that to me I have choked out.

First off, thanks for the clarification JohnnyS. Second off, Wolverine, you had mentioned before that you dont get to train very often with BJJ guys, so would I be correct in assuming many of the guys you train with arent advanced guys? They are most likely doing the technique wrong, and you are probably a better grappler than they are.

Its like a guys first class in BJJ and he says "hey, I learned an armbar today!" Suppose one of his friends says "that * dont work cause you just pull your arm out of it." A technique is only good if its applied correctly.

:o There is one way to escape a rear naked choke after its been sunk in. Grab his little finger and bend. I know its sounds simple and stupid. But give it a try. Have your friend put u in the choke, reach up to your neck and beginto pry his lttle finger. No matter how strong he is u will be able to free it from the fist and then bend and break it. :idea:

Donkey