• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there any way to get out of a triangle choke hold?

There arent really "escapes" from the techniques you're talking about. When a submission is sunk in, its already too late- you have to get it BEFORE the sub gets sunk in.

Its almost like me saying "how do I escape a punch?" The idea is to avoid the punch before it hits your face- otherwise there isnt much you can do is there!

So anyways, defending a rear naked strangle- reach behind your hand with your hand and put your bicep to your ear so as to allow no space between your arm and your head (he cant choke you if he goes underneat that arm, get it?) Depending on which side he attacks, you'll have to switch arms to defend. Tucking the chin isnt the best of ideas- against a seasoned Jiu Jitsu fighter, you'll get choked over your jaw/face which is very painful and can break some of your teeth if you're not carefull.

The guillotine is a very basic but very successfull submission. Suppose he wraps for the guillotine with his right arm- grab his wrist with your right arm with a grip facing yourself (like a chinup grip you know) and pull down (sometimes you'll need to use both hands). Then push his elbow with your left hand to get your head out. It depends on how good he is at that particular choke and how good your escape is.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the guillotine choke, I was told that to "get out of it" what you really need to do is just cause a stale mate. You just get up on the balls of your feet, and stick your butt really high in the air. It's worked for me.

I tried this with a little variation. Used a bit of treebranch along with it.

I went up high on my toes pushing force against his chest. While wiggling I moved in a circular pattern until his balance shifted and I used my leg to hook his and drove forard landing on top of him then it softened him enough to work my way out by rolling around in a wrestling fashion to escape. I let myself get into the choke a few times to work on getting out of it. Im 4 for 5 on getting out of it. :D Only tapped once :up:

Boy, this grappling stuff is tireing me out!!!! :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

So anyways, defending a rear naked strangle- reach behind your hand with your hand and put your bicep to your ear so as to allow no space between your arm and your head (he cant choke you if he goes underneat that arm, get it?) Depending on which side he attacks, you'll have to switch arms to defend. Tucking the chin isnt the best of ideas- against a seasoned Jiu Jitsu fighter, you'll get choked over your jaw/face which is very painful and can break some of your teeth if you're not carefull.

You stick your arm up there and you set your self up for an arm triangle choke or an arm bar. Not to mention, there are variations of the rear naked which hook the arm in case it is defended that way. My two cents.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Putting your butt in the air will get you swept like a dirty floor. I am too lazy to explain it. Read Renzo and Roylers book.

As far as the triangle here is the readers digest version. For the leg that going over your shoulder, grab that pant leg and pull it toward the floor. Then look up at the sky using good posture and you should be able to break free.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

You stick your arm up there and you set your self up for an arm triangle choke or an arm bar. Not to mention, there are variations of the rear naked which hook the arm in case it is defended that way. My two cents.

No you wont because your opponent is on your back- this is standard defense against a rear naked choke- triangles generally come from guard, mounted, and cross side positions.

As for hooking the arm, you're thinking of someone attempting to flair their arms out as if put in a full nelson- this is not the case- there is no space between your arm and your head (therefore defending your neck).

Well, I've done it before on several occasions. You put your arm that far away from your body and you are begging someone to make you tap.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

Yeah, grappling is lots a fun man.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Well, I've done it before on several occasions. You put your arm that far away from your body and you are begging someone to make you tap.

I guess I'll have to go tell Royler Gracie, Xandre and Saulo Ribeiro that their back escapes and rear naked choke defenses are incorrect.....

Seriously, I dont think you're still understanding whats being said. The bicep is pretty much touching your ear, you CAN NOT get your arm between my arm and ear and therefore can not strangle me on that side.

If your opponent switches sides, so do you, but you should already be working on an escape once you've started to protect your neck. If all you do is protect, you're doing nothing more than delaying the inevitable.

If you put your bicep on your ear, you have NO leverage. I've done it to people several times. Your shoulder is in one corotid artery, and all I have to do is swing my arm around the other side, and its a different choke. You can block the rear naked, but its only slightly delaying a different choke.

Perhaps if you have some sort of picture of this defense, maybe there's something I'm missing and we're thinking of two different situations, but I fail to see how many different ways you can put your bicep on your ear.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

Your shoulder is NOT on a carotid artery, its on your ear and it doesnt represent a danger to being choked. Once you put your shoulder up you CAN NOT BE CHOKED FROM THAT SIDE and you will not be able to go for an arm triangle choke either. If you should attempt to choke me from the other side once I do this defense, I simply switch arms. I'

ll see if I cant find any pictures of exactly what Im talking about, but trust me, this is coming from 3 grapplers who happen to be the best in the world.