• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you think a 1hr30 lesson every week is sufficient enough to be competeing in tournements. Bear in mind that we spar for about 5-10mins every lesson and I train heavily for fitness at home and at the gym. I also practice my karate at home. Do you think this is enough for entering tournements?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of tournament are you thinking of entering? Are you confident of your own ability? Do you want to do kata or kumite? (I'm guessing kumite but just making sure!) It depends on so many things.

For kumite, my advice would be, get out there and watch, videotape some tournaments in your area. Then you can make an informed decision as to whether you are at the right standard.

With kata you don't have to worry about getting hurt (unless you trip up, my worst nightmare) so just go along and have a go, you've nothing to lose.

Hope that helps!

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

Well, if you only want to do small tournaments then go for it, but if you get bitten by the 'competition bug' then you're gonna have to significantly increase your training, 'cos a once a week lesson is't really going to be enough. Go along a watch a few comps, see what you think to the whole set up. Could you imagine yourself doing what they're doing? Could you imagine yourself winning?? If yes, then go for it! Good luck and let us know how you get on. Remember, that there's more to karate than just competing, though.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Oh no, i dont want to enter the world champs or anything! just maybe the AMA british nationals or regional tournements. I totally agree that theres more to karate than tournements, i was just thinking of entering in a few small ones and see how i do.

just being nosy now, rich_2k3, where do you train?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

just being nosy now, rich_2k3, where do you train?

A little town in Leicestershire called Ashby, dont know if u've heard of it.

What does your Sensei say about it?

Havent spoken to him about it yet, but he'd be very supportive if I did. Several members of our club have been in tournements and won, we do have tournements popping up now and again, but the probably with them is, is that there're are only age and weight divisions, so I could be agaisnt an experienced dan grade.

I say go for it, it's an experience. You might hate it, but more than likely you will get the competetion bug and want to go to a lot more.

After only 4 months of doing kyokushin, I did my first knockdown tournement (it wasn't that long ago). I had a blast. I got a bit hurt, but I still had a lot of fun, and to my suprise I finished 3rd.

Now I want to go to the Canadians in May. Our classes are now training 3 times a week, and it's 90% fight training.

One good way to get yourself in good shape for the tournements (that's if you're fighting), is to do wind sprints. Go to a track, and sprint for 100 meters as fast as you can, then walk back to the start line again, and as soon as you reach the start line burst into another sprint to the finish. Keep doing this and you'll be well trained anaroebicly.

Anyways, if you go, good luck, have fun, and KEEP YOUR HANDS UP (assuming you fight full contact especially).

just maybe the AMA british nationals or regional tournements.

Well, there's an Eastern Region AMA karate tournament coming up in South Shields at the end of the month. There's also on scheduled for Nottingham in August.

If you find out about anymore small comps then if you could let me know, please!! I'm trying to find a few little tournaments for a couple of the kids in my low-grades class to enter.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Remember that Martial Arts is like a sport where you need to train daily, like Basketball players, Baseball players, Boxers, all train daily.

If you have a job and a life, then this might be difficult to squeeze into a schedule, but if you plan on seriously competing, you need to focus on training other than sparring like running and weighttraining.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.