• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey guys,

As much as I roll, and as much as I rave about BJJ...I've never actually rolled with other BJJ practitioners (my instructor is a judoka, but specializes in ne waza). It was quite an experience...the guy I rolled with tonight was very fluid. I know that my stand up game overmatched him a bit, but he had a slight edge on the ground. He was impressed by my defense, but I just could not manage much offensively. Some of it was due to my ATROCIOUS cardio, and part of it was his uncanny knack for positioning...even when I was in a dominant position, he knew exactly how to keep me from accomplishing anything. :) At any rate, I had a blast. Hoping to do more of this in the future.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sheesh, gotta keep the judo end up! Actually, time permitting i was going to try and fit some bjj into the schedule to get a different perspective on the same judo techniques.

A great cardio builder we do is one guy stays in and fights everyone in the dojo in newaza. We break and do nagekomi. Then we go back to everyone fights one guy in standup. The white and yellow belts, who stay out the way (keeping fresh) tend to have great enthusiasm when a person is reaching the end of his turn. That way they stand a chance over advanced players. Plus it gives some of the older black belts an excuse to save face - yeah he pinned me but i was tired!

I just could not manage much offensively. Some of it was due to my ATROCIOUS cardio, and part of it was his uncanny knack for positioning...even when I was in a dominant position, he knew exactly how to keep me from accomplishing anything. :)

bjj 101 is learning to escape a bad position. The next level is establishing a position. of control. the third stage is learning to submit at will.

Just recently my sensei(who gets in on sparring) grappled me, and the blue belt did as well. Afterwards they were telling me how much fun it is to roll with me, cause I was finally grasping some of the concepts. Felt good to hear some praise :D Now I want nothing more then to grapple.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

I have been studying with a friend who has took BJJ under the Machados in the past. It really amazes me how good those guys are at gaining the dominant positions and the variety of submissions they have available. It really makes you realize, damn....I'd be in a world of hurt if I ended up rolling around with this guy in a sparring match or street fight.

Mixed Martial Artist