• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with several that have posted. Avoid his strengths, exploit his weaknesses. For the generic boxer strengths include:

- a killer upper-body punching game

- defense against same

weakneses include:

- an exposed lower body (kick him in the leg a few times)

- no skills outside punching range

- no grappling skills except perhaps punching from a clinch

- few, if any, skills with or against trapping

The Bruce Lee quote is an excellent one.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I agree with Jerry Love, et all.

One thing that I havn't seen yet is targeting their hands. Boxers, for all that moving and covering, have this wonderful habit of putting their hands up by their hard head. They are used to taking strikes on their gloves. Without the gloves, you can do a lot of dammage targeting their hands.

Freedom isn't free!

I agree. I say you should target the legs and trunk, and time their bobbing if you get the chance. If you can, get into a clench, cuz boxers don't generally know how to use knee strikes.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Without the gloves, you can do a lot of dammage targeting their hands.

Most boxers should be able to avoid this in any number of ways.

I agree. I say you should target the legs and trunk, and time their bobbing if you get the chance. If you can, get into a clench, cuz boxers don't generally know how to use knee strikes.

Maybe they should, but they don't allways. Try it. Like everything else, sometimes it is there and sometimes it isn't. When it is, though, it's good.

I agree about targeting his base and lower body. But it was already brought up. I'm just throwing another tactic into the mix. And just like everything else as well, you can't depend on a particular boxer being poor in a clinch or not knowing how to protect his base. If low doesn't work, go high and open the low targets up. If he wants in close, try to create a little distance. If he wants to stay at medium range, and you are confident of your grappling skills, move in to clinch. I try to be where he doesn't want me to be, no matter who I'm fighting. Don't let him play his game, and trading head shots is definately a boxers game. I like to pick targets that he doesn't think about defending and strikes he's not used to, and use them to open up something else. Don't sit outside and try to keep hitting the same thing either, as he'll probably figure that out pretty fast. You don't do that with any one you fight.

Freedom isn't free!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep this in mind, in a fight, whether it be a competition, or a self defense , the skill of the man/woman in what they know what to do determines the fight, not the style.

Strikers

1. Use a variety of low kicks to the shins, knees, thighs, and if the Boxer is worned down or, kick to the abdomen. Only kick to the head if you can catch him/her by surprise, or when he or she is tired and is unable to defend quickly and effectively.

2. Do not go toe to toe, unless you have the hand skills to do so. This is the Boxers area of expertise, Hand striking. Only punch to either set up a kicking attack, or to counter his punches.

3. Keep moving. Although Boxing stresses footwork, many Boxers do not use footwork as they should.

4. Depending on whether it is in a regulated bout or No Holds Barred, USE WHATEVER IS ALLOWED. Fists, Elbows, Foreams, Feet. Shins, Knees, Shoulders, etc.) The more weapons you use, the more options you have to defeat a Western

Grapplers

1 SHOOT IN IMMEDIATELY. Do not give them enough time to fell you out, as Boxers tend to do. Take them down at their legs and apply your submission move(s).

2. If fighting a fast and furious puncher, bait him/her to throw a strike, dodge the initial blow, if possible, and then take them down, and submit them.

3. Get them down to the ground by any means neccessary, as rules permit in competition, in the street, anything goes.

3. DO NOT STAND TOE TO TOE! YOU WILL LOSE!

No Man is Invincible. The goal of a fighter is to not be Unbeatable, but Undeniable.

A Master's skill is not shown in how well he controls a fight, but in how well he controls himself.

In reality, the Style does not make the Man, but the Man makes the Style.

And I agree with Jerry Love, et all.

One thing that I havn't seen yet is targeting their hands. Boxers, for all that moving and covering, have this wonderful habit of putting their hands up by their hard head. They are used to taking strikes on their gloves. Without the gloves, you can do a lot of dammage targeting their hands.

This is a good point. Striking the backs of their hands very fast and hard with a backfist (my personal favorite and fastest technique) and striking the small bones on the back of their fists with your knuckles has got to hurt, possible damage the hands.

However, you also have to consider that if you're close enough to do that, then you're darn close to their punching range also...so it has its drawbacks also.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Jerry & SS, you're both right. I'm partial to center knuckle strikes as well.

Freedom isn't free!

Last week in Cluj (a Romanian city :) ) took place a MA gala. 6 matches with opponents coming from different styles. There were some boxers who WON EVERY MATCH. They fought kickboxing, TKD and Kyokushin guys who were totalled. Why? Because they couldn't impose their style. Those who tried high kicks got into the high guard, those who have tried to box, got even more punishment and it was kinda funny. The most important when fighting a boxer is keeping him in distance, but it's hard since they know how to get into striking distance.

I've noticed those who were defeated didn't work "intelligent" and got their ..tt kicked. It doesn't matter the style is bad, just that there's much to work for them. :karate: