• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've done a little training at a local karate gym and got totally manhandled by a boxer (Wearing gear of course). Any Karateists who can give me some tips on how to approach a boxer?

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If so keep him at long range with your kicks, dont let him close u down cuz u can't beat him fist to fist, keep moving and hitting with hard kicks to his upper legs and go for sweeps.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Try not to classify the people you spar, so dont think of him as a boxer. Just thing of him as another person, use your normal gameplan and if you are better than him you should do well.

I once fought a guy who was a former "golden gloves" winner (or so he claimed) and managed to keep him at bay. He fought one of my buddies and busted his nose right before he fought me. I kept my distance, blocked almost all of his punches, and managed to pop him a couple times with low kicks to the abdomen and thighs. Bottom line, I didn't want to trade punches with him. I saw what he could do, and I know where my limits are. Boxers are well trained in feints, movement, and punch delivery. Don't underestimate any boxer; they are worthy adversaries. Some MA guys have the attitude "I have the advantage, I know how to kick"....*. If you don't time your kicks right, he can move in on you and put a hurting on you fast. Match his game, dance with him and deflect his shots using good defense and blocks. Look to throw off his timing with low kicks, and if he reacts low, toss a couple headshots his way. But get in and get out fast, unless you see him start to back away against your advances. Watch for uppercuts...they can sneak in there. Kickboxers, who intermingle the 2 philosophies, are dangerous in their own right. They are fast kickers, and deliver hard punches. They can give a lot of boxers a run for their money.

Mixed Martial Artist

I tell my people "Don't try to box a boxer. If you do, you're playing HIS game, and that's not good!" I agree..use your legs, go for targests such as knees, groin, feet, lower abdomen, etc that the boxer isn't used to protecting.

Also, if you feel it is reasonably safe to do so, go to the ground and get below his hands. Sliding under his punches quickly and attacking the above mentioned areas fast and hard can take him down and off his feet where he has lost his only advantage.

I've been lucky over the years to have had the opportunity to have soem good boxers, wrestlers and street fighters in my class to work with and see what they suckered for. You just have to be VERY careful and very quick with them and know how they attack inb their chosen "system".

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Boxers are ace at moving their heads, bobbing and weaving really good.

But their centre of graviy hardly moves and there is always a big gap between their elbows. Keep firing the push front kicks and side kicks straight down the middle. I've fought many boxers who struggle against these kicks and because they are totally new to them they just don't know what to do.

As said previously don't even try to go toe-to-toe and if thy get in close and turn up the head fire off a big back kick down the middle.

Bretty

I think it was Bruce lee that said, you are a prisoner of your discipline. In boxing there are many rules that make you a prisoner.

A boxer trains for high and mid strikes, not low. I am not saying throw continuous low strikes. I am saying throw low, high, and mid shots. You take them out of there game, and put them in a world they are not familiar with. They can adapt farely easy to continuous low strikes. But can be put into a kind of "culture shock" (if you will), by mixing it up.

Once you end your combination, back away.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding