• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need help on crane stance..

How many crane stances are there? The one used in karate kid is one.

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yang Taiji does White Crane Spreads Wings, but it isn't quite like standing on a pileing on one leg and hanging both hands in the air. American Kenpo has a crane stance, but our guard is still in place, again as opposed to just hanging.

Freedom isn't free!

crane stance in chinese martial arts means standing on one leg.

it is almost always transitionary.

it is separated as a 'stance' for training in strength and endurance.

it is not a stance for fighting in and you do definitely do not stand there like a pillock in crane stance.

how many times do i have to say this?

films are not the best reference for facts.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

there you go again...

if you look at the context of the 'crane stance' as mentioned in the original post, you will see what i was infereing.

as for whether or not you would use the sideways 'crane' as a starting position.

well, my style would say that standing on one leg imposes a limit to what you can do.

therefore, according to my style, you do not face your oppoent in a 'crane' stance pre-contact.

my style tells you that if you are in any one leg stance and your opponent moves to the side, you have to change position to re-face him.

this is a wasted movement.

in other words, by commiting yourself to a one leg stance pre-contact, you will always be playing catch-up.

like i say, that is what my style would tell you.

in answer to your question, i am pretty sure that the 'crane' stance is not used to face pre-contact.

are you sure that people do use it?

apart from in the movies that is....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

You sure no one uses it as a starting position (the one sideways to your opponent with your closer leg raised and that foot above your other knee, near hand straight down, far hand stright up)?

Sounds like you're about to pee on him. :)

Freedom isn't free!

if you look at the context of the 'crane stance' as mentioned in the original post, you will see what i was infereing.

There is no context. He asked how many there were and than named one.

You then said: "crane stance in chinese martial arts means standing on one leg."; making your context "all one-legged stances".

I know a 1-legged Chinese crane-stance, and the basics of how to use it, and I could see it being used as a "guard" poisition (and if my old KF movies are to be believed, some people may). I won't use it, but there are a lot of stances people fight from that I won't use.

http://www.kungfu.co.il/gallery/kungfupic/crane.jpg

The closesit I could find without putting forth effort or something hideous like that. Remember that his opponent should be off in the direction his head is facing.

Crane Stance certainly makes a fighter look more ridiculous than any of the others, and standing on one leg would severely diminish your ability to move about. You're right, it's TKD !

>>>PS<<<

Yeah, I know I'm gonna get flamed anyway, but that was a JOKE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

by context i was talking about his reference to the crance stance from karate kid and the infereing that it is a valid crane stance.

the crane stance as i understand it has never been a 'guard' type stance.

it's 'existence' occuring during a transition.

it covers but does not act as a guard.

so anyway, let me get this right.

you can't say for sure that people DO use it as a guard stance either.

just like i can't say for sure that people don't use it.

like i have said before, sometimes i get the idea that you just like to argue.