• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kickboxing competition rules

Hi, I don't usually post here but I'd like some help, please, if possible! Thanks.

A kickboxing instructor in the area I live in is hosting an open sparring competition for all local martial arts clubs. However, the rules are Kickboxing competition rules. I'm not sure what organisations rules, but it's the major set of rules that are used for all kickboxing competitions, apparantly. Can someone tell me, is there a website where I can get a copy of the rules from? I've asked the competition organiser if he'll send me a copy and he said yes, but he hasn't done so yet and I asked him a few weeks ago.

Also, what protective gear do Kickboxers normally wear? In karate comps that I enter its usually just hand mitts and a gum shield, with groin guards for the men.

Sorry if I sound stupid, but my knowledge of kickboxing is extemely limited (could be written on the back of a postage stamp in fact). :D

Thanks again.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here is a site to visit, that will answer all of your questions. There are three main sets of kickboxing rules in the US.

I think you will have to ask them, which rules they will use. In my area it used to be international rules, but we are mostly fighting Muay Thai rules now(without elbows).

https://www.ikfkickboxing.com

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

Sorry about that, I didn't see you were from England. It also has a set of kickboxing rules on San Shou.

Justfulwardog

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

Hello.

I am a kickboxer in the north of England. We fight under W.A.K.O rules, they have a website, http://www.wakogb.co.uk

The basics are: All kicks and punches landed score one point. Height of kicks vary but usually above waist only. No grappling, no holding, no knees, elbows and no spinning back fists.

If it is a low kick competition, then you can kick the ouside or inside of the thigh, (careful though as kicks to the knee can result in a disqualification). You can also sweep one of the legs. This will not score you a point, but it can unbalance your opponent. If you hit him straight away, that is when you score.

As for what to wear. Head guard, gum shield, wraps and gloves (probably 10oz) , groin guard and some form of protection for you shins and toes. I recommend Top Ten Gear, as Title head gurads slip all over the place.

Best of luck in the competition.

Thank you very much for your help guys!

I think it is WAKO rules that the competition is using.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I thought u were deducted points if u didnt use a minimum amount of kicks per round...

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I think that is only in professional fights. It is a good rule. One kick to me, is as tiring as throwing 5 punches.

I have seen some fighters throw only one kick in three rounds.

Justfulwardog

I thought u were deducted points if u didnt use a minimum amount of kicks per round...

Depends on the ruleset they use. In the american rules fights that I've had, we had to throw at least 3 per round.

Sorry, your absolutely right. I forgot about the 8 kick rule. Pretty much what it says on the tin, throw a minimum of 8 kicks in a round. The refs are not normally too strict on this. You get a gentle reminder between rounds.