• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help get Karate in the Olympics!!!

Rich_2k3

Oh yeah, theres another martial art on there too; wushu.

Make that reason number 7. Wushu lost it's focus of actual combative functionality in kata about the same time it entered the Olympics.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, why put karate in when we've got TaeKwon-do? MMA sounds like a good idea, however that would be very hard to regulate because olympic standards are very tight.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

The "Big 3" styles of Karate are TKD, Shotokan, and Kenpo. Only one is in the Olympics.

I'm sorry but ur very wrong....

Taekwon-do is not karate, it is Taekwon-do. Plz dont get the 2 confused they are very different. Oh and kenpo is not one of the "big 3" as u call it, although shotokan is the most popular style of karate in the western world. Kenpo is simply a popular style in the US but still not that popular.

U do realise that TKD is korean and not japanese, it revolves around kicking and is NOT a style of karate, thats a typical comment a mcdojo would say, somtimes they call kickboxing or TKD karate, those kind of misconceptions are what are killing karate and MA's.

If you must know TKD could be classed as part of the tang soo do family, but again its still not tang soo do.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

The "Big 3" styles of Karate are TKD, Shotokan, and Kenpo.

Oh really? And all this time I've been thinking that TKD was Korean and a completely separate martial art from karate. Silly old me...

(as a BTW, I agree with Rich_2k3's point about Kempo, it's not as popular in the UK as it is in the US.)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The "Big 3" styles of Karate are TKD, Shotokan, and Kenpo. Only one is in the Olympics.

I'm sorry but ur very wrong....

Taekwon-do is not karate, it is Taekwon-do. Plz dont get the 2 confused they are very different. Oh and kenpo is not one of the "big 3" as u call it, although shotokan is the most popular style of karate in the western world. Kenpo is simply a popular style in the US but still not that popular.

U do realise that TKD is korean and not japanese, it revolves around kicking and is NOT a style of karate, thats a typical comment a mcdojo would say, somtimes they call kickboxing or TKD karate, those kind of misconceptions are what are killing karate and MA's.

If you must know TKD could be classed as part of the tang soo do family, but again its still not tang soo do.

I agree wholeheartedly with your main point (ie, Modern TKD is not Karate). However, both TKD and TSD primarily evolved from the same main root - Shotokan Karate. So loosely speaking, I can see how they could be considered karate (on one level or another). In fact through out much of the 60's & early 70's they were (quite aptly too) referred to as Korean Karate by many martial artist in the US.

(I know it's comming - so let the stoning begin.... :brow: )

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."