• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TaeKwonDo is in the Olympics...

lol

I know, I know...in my neck of the woods all the TKD is McDojoish and sport style. Karate is usally done full contact and we have many who cross train in our city with boxing. So, I guess I should have included "IMO."

Olympic sports karate. So would that mean that only the major styles are accepted? Eg Shotokan or Gojo Ryu? Does it also mean that only Federation Kata's would be accepted as well? What about Kata's from less known styles.

How far do we deviate from an art to a sport?

The strongest principle in human growth lies in human choice (Alexander Chase).

Karate is a term, which encompass many Japanese, and Okinawa martial arts, therefore whichever form of karate is represented at the Olympics all forms of karate will be viewed by the general public as being the same by said representation.

Unless the competition looks like something out of a Jet Lee, Jacky Chan or Matrix movie (which unfortunately the general publics perception of martial arts) karate will be disappointing at best. Why bother?

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Karate is a term, which encompass many Japanese, and Okinawa martial arts, therefore whichever form of karate is represented at the Olympics all forms of karate will be viewed by the general public as being the same by said representation.

Unless the competition looks like something out of a Jet Lee, Jacky Chan or Matrix movie (which unfortunately the general publics perception of martial arts) karate will be disappointing at best. Why bother?

Well said by an ITF TKD guy. When I mention sport TKD, ITF is NOT what I had in mind.

Well said by an ITF TKD guy. When I mention sport TKD, ITF is NOT what I had in mind.

The mere fact that you pointed out that ITF TKD wasn’t what you were referring to is exactly the problem alluded to in my post.

Once Karate is included into the Olympics, any martial art with the word karate in it will be tarred with the same brush by the general public and ignorant (uninformed) martial artists.

The ITF (International Taekwon-do Federation) is one of many Korean martial arts under the TKD banner who for the better or worse are tarred by the WTF Olympic brush.

Worse off still are those under the WTF banner who practice martial arts with little or no involvement to the sporting side of WTF.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in awe, and have the greatest of respect for any athlete who has made it to the Olympics to represent their country, these people regardless of the sport should be congratulated and not put down. However once the sporting / tournament side of any martial art is included into Olympics, that art (and associated arts) are open to public scrutiny and criticism.

Respectfully,

Edited by John G

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

No thanks. Three words, 'Tae Kwon Do.'

I agree, however to be more precise it's one word Taekwondo :D

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

In the context of the Olympics you are correct WTF spelling is “Taekwondo”, ITF uses the more precise spelling “Taekwon-do”. :D

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

In the context of the Olympics you are correct WTF spelling is “Taekwondo”, ITF uses the more precise spelling “Taekwon-do”. :D

:o DOH! :o I should have seen that one commin'

I stand most humbly corrected... :karate:

Kom'sumida :lol:

(My Japanese is rusty but it's always been better than my Korean....)

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."