• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Though I'm not a kickboxer (no gym), I sometimes jump in sparring situations or free fighting to confuse, or initiate some brute force in my kicks or punches. In the ring, do you guys ever hop into a kick, or leep into the air to hammer something down?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jumping kind of throws your weight more (I haven't found jumping to be effective at all) but at the same time puts in a bad situation since your grossly off balance and will probably get layed out with a simple side step followed by an uppercut or snap front kick.

I would not recommend jumping unless your size allows it. Same with axe kicks. Devastating but you need defense to prevent any counters.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

Jumping kind of throws your weight more (I haven't found jumping to be effective at all) but at the same time puts in a bad situation since your grossly off balance and will probably get layed out with a simple side step followed by an uppercut or snap front kick.

I dunno - I've been hit sometimes while airborn, and I personally don't think that you should be doing airborn techniques unless you can handle the chaos that surrounds the possibility of getting hit. Sure, in the past I would sometimes get cleaned doing something like that - but less and less nowdays - even with a good front kick. You never know something can help unless you prove it through repitition and growth (just a thought). Still, I dunno...

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I don't use jumping kicks - and only practice them enough to teach the basics of them.

1) They leave you too vulnerable

2) My time is short, and the time spent practicing jump kick IMHO yields better results by spending it reinforcing basics.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

The jumping front kick is easy, fast and powerful. Just stand in right stance jump on to your left foot and at the same time throw out a front kick. Its a very fast kick when done properly and one of the only jumping kicks that is actually practical and easy to do.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

Like Rich_2K3, I like the Jumping front kick, as well. The way I try to use it, is just like I use my jab. When I throw a jab, I try to keep it the exact way that I hold it in my guard. If done right, your opponent doesn't know it's coming until it's too late.

My instructor taught me to lift the rear leg as though you are trying to touch the back of your lead legs knee. With your lead leg, you want to "roll" your foot, from your heel to off of your toes. Use this momentum to Jump forward (not too high). You want to make it appear as though you are just standing there still (as much as possible at least). If done right, they won't have enough time to react.

I love to see the surprise in my sparring partners eyes, just before I kick'em. You got to have some fun. :D

I haven't perfected it enough for use in competition yet. I use simple moves, until the end of the third.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

Yeah... I see what ya'all are saying.

Personally, I've been able to really surprise people with my jumping kicks, but that's usually because I'm taller than everyone.