• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who has pulled off Butterfly Kicks?

It's slightly acrobatic. By "neokarate" definition (see website), a butterfly kick is where you twist strongly and elevate your body parallel to floor with your legs bent like you are doing a two-footed scorpion kick.

I've only been able to pull this one off a couple times on the trampoline. On the ground I can to only seem to pull off traditional jumping moves from TKD (jump spin hook, all tornado kicks, jump split kicks, etc.) So who's pulled it off? Any advice, or prerequisites?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Me, but I can only spin counter-clockwise. As you take the spinning step into it, the TKD tendacy is to probably keep your body upright. As the first foot launches up, bend at the waist.

I try to describe it as a horizontal jump spinning wheel kick.

If you can do a tornado kick, you've got more than enough athletic ability :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

I've seen them myself in Tae kwon do but it's kind of a worthless move in combat. Very cool looking wheel kick variation. I'm involved with kickboxing but i've never had that move pulled on me. It would look pretty easy to counter by simply ducking the head and side kicking the off balance leg.

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

I would have thought the butterfly kick would be easier to pull off on a solid floor rather then a trampoline.

I can do it on both sides fairly well usually my trailing leg goes higher then my lead leg which doesn't look so good, I can also do it pretty much vertical like an aerial.

The trick is to start with your body bent forward and parrallel to the floor, then start your flat spin dip your head down and spring up with the first kick.

Its a nice kick, I want a Butterfly twist but can never find the floor to land and don't have access to a nice matted floor to practice. They look ace though.

I was gonna say it's just practice, but i think you would do better to watch someone who can do it and get them to break it down for you.

Bretty

I see your point, but I don't know anyone who has this under their belt. Sometimes, I get so close, yet so far. It seems that I have the most trouble with becomming parallel with the floor, but once that happens, I forsee problems with recovery.

This kinda reminds me of my difficulty with the monkey kick. It's a cool kick, but my upper body isn't used to supporting my entire weight, and I'm just too tall to do hand-stands.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

As far as I can tell, it's a kick where you fall on the palms of your hands and send both of your feet at your target. Your body sends the kicks at an angle, so you've got to kick in such a manner as to allow you to recover quickly enough to so that you end up on all fours instead of on your gut.

There seems to be a bit of handstand strength involved with this kick.

Funny you should mention this kick. I recently learned how to do this kick as one of the many moves in a new bo kata I am learning. I saw myslef doing it, and it ain't purty :lol: Plus the next day, my knees were shot :(

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I thought a mule kick was a version of the back kick that brings the heal up like a verticle hook kick onto the chin, or other target. Basically, an intentionally sloppy back kick.