• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei Thump-a-lot

ESA-Shotokan

I have some experience with this. In the past I used to go to a Shotokan club, which was lead by a huge guy. This teacher really hurted someone when demonstrating a technique on him. His joint locks were quite painfull. He always said he did this to let the student know the effect of the applied technique. It almost would seem to me that he enjoyed doing this. But when someone try to do something on him he really felt threatened, as I later discovered.

I remember one time, when we were practising punches, he punched with an powerfull oi zuki on my plexus solaris. I just collapsed and fell on the ground and it took me a quite an amount of time to be able to get up again. I was under the impression that he was merely testing out the effect of his punch on me, rather than demonstrating an oi zuki.

After two years I thought to myself, just what in heaven's name am I still doing here. I quickly changed to another Shotokan club.

Edited by Gyte

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nothing worse than an instructor who'll dish it out on you, but when it comes time to be on the receiving end, he/she won't allow for the same amount of force to be used on them. Man.....I hate that :kaioken:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I would say yes. They are allow. This is what in our dojo we call "Conditioning" If it hurts its sucess.We also call sweat "susess".

I was in class and the Sensei told me to punch. I punch right there... He did a arm lock followed by something that hurt like hell. Ya, myneck was soar. Ya, I wanted To scream. Ya, I wanted To sidekick him in the solar... But i didn't because the main reason is "Repect". And that is why you guys listen to your Sensei's Or Hanshi's. Becuase respect, or you don't wanna get the living crap kicked outta you. :karate:

I think respect has to be a two-way thing. While your sensei may have many years behind them, they still have to behave as humans and not *-holes. They have to realise that a pupil can be better than them, regardless of grade. For instance, any pupil who attains a level of around sandan has achieved an incredible standard and will be able to kick the * of their sensei who may be 4th, 5th even 6th dan. It soon becomes immaterial as to your grade.

:)

Yes, respect is essential in order for your sensei to be able to teach you anything. If you think the guy is an ar$e and you don't respect him then you're not gonna learn anything from him.

However, respect has to be two way and it has to be earned. My sensei was a body builder when he was younger and he is still a very big, powerful man and I'm fully aware that he could break every bone in my body with very little effort, should he choose to do so. However, he always uses control when demonstrating on any of his students. He respects us as students and as people who are willing to learn and in return we respect him for his knowledge, experience and teaching skills. Just beacuse he is a 5th Dan with over 30 years Martial Arts experience and over 20 years experience as a instructor with his own club doesn't automatically give him the right to be able to treat us like doormats and walk all over us when he's demonstrating, just to get some sort of power/ego trip.

Anyone who beats their students up on a regular basis just to show the effectiveness of a technique doesn't deserve the title and respect that goes with being a Sensei IMO.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Did this guy train initially in the 1950s, 1960s, or early 1970s? I understand that that sort of thing was fairly common then. Of course, that generation has mostly modified their training method since then.

Another possiblility is that he has read of that era and bought into its philosophy. Either way, if you think the contact is excessive, leave.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I read a story that in japan in the 40's if you joined a karate club and wanted to leave all the students would line up, you would shake hands with each one and they would punch you full forcein the face, that is what I call rough. Never let a instructor harm you they don't have that right. This isn't the 40's anymore. If someone strikes you hard in a demonstration never let them demonstrate on you again

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Did this guy train initially in the 1950s, 1960s, or early 1970s? I understand that that sort of thing was fairly common then. Of course, that generation has mostly modified their training method since then.

Another possiblility is that he has read of that era and bought into its philosophy. Either way, if you think the contact is excessive, leave.

Yeah all true in this case. I have sent him an email resigning from the organisation.

:)

ShotoMan of the Shotokan

• 2 weeks later...

my sensi controls his hits unless it his on his own trainer andy sherry then he will probably try to hit and i am referring to the word TRY because they move like bullets

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!