• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei Thump-a-lot

ESA-Shotokan

One thing I often wonder is why karateka allow their sensei to demonstrate techniques on them. Is it right that your instructor be allowed to thump you hard with a punch or kick while you are standing there as a punchbag, having to accept the hit?

Yes, if you are being given the opportunity to block then so be it, if the technique lands then at least you had a chance to defend yourself against it. Also yes it is okay to hit with control but I am talking about a real hard thump to a vital area of the body.

How many of you agree with this unecessary act which is conducted by so many sensei?

:karate:

Edited by ESA-Shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmmm but do you hit eachother to the point of broken bones, fractures, etc? That's the type of force I am referring to.

A hit is nothing, we can all take it, but what if I kicked you in the solar plexus at full pelt or in the balls quite hard? If I say stand there while I just ram this into your face, I have a feeling there has to be a point where you have to say "No" ?

Maybe I am wrong here.

:)

Hmmm but do you hit eachother to the point of broken bones, fractures, etc? That's the type of force I am referring to.

It has happened.

A hit is nothing, we can all take it, but what if I kicked you in the solar plexus at full pelt or in the balls quite hard?

Solar plexus? Well, during kotekite we do punch each other in the solar plexus. Kick to the groin, why were you not wearing a cup?

If I say stand there while I just ram this into your face, I have a feeling there has to be a point where you have to say "No" ?

Maybe I am wrong here.

If that is the case, why are you still at that dojo? :roll:

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Our Hanshi is always under control when he does demos or shows a technique on one of the students. I think all Sensei's that are teaching should be able to maintain control and still show the technique to its fullest effect short of breaking bones and knocking you to the floor. Even in take downs he is careful to control our fall and lessen the impact. I for one love to be the one he picks to do demos. For me it makes it easier to learn the move correctly. The only time when I've seen all out sparring is when Black belts are testing for a higher grade and have to spar against other Black belts for a certain time limit each. If your teacher is really hurting students during demos than something isn't right. IMHO :karate:

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

As an instructor, you can still show the effectiveness of any technique w/o unnecessarily injuring your uke. However at the same time, it is the uke's job to be able to react properly to the technique being demonstrated. If you are going to get kicked or punched in the gut area, you as the uke need to know how to receive the kick or punch, especially if you know it's coming. Just my thoughts on the matter :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

A hit is nothing, we can all take it, but what if I kicked you in the solar plexus at full pelt or in the balls quite hard? If I say stand there while I just ram this into your face, I have a feeling there has to be a point where you have to say "No" ?

Maybe I am wrong here.

That sounds pretty excessive to me. yes, during a demonstration of a technique to the class, you can expect "some" contact so that you realize that if he/she had fallen through with the technique, it would have done what he intended it to do.

Byut if he/she is breking bones, hitting balls hard, etc..I'd say no, that is a person who is tryting to intimidate, bully and generally not a good sensei.

Now, keep in mind, accidents do happen when speed and power are utilized while demonstrating a technique. I have done it, and I'm surte any other sensei will also say that they have hit a student to hard demoing a tecyhnique. It just happens.

To give an example, about 2 years before Ed Parker, the founder of American Kenpo Karate, died, he gave a seminar in Missoula, Montana which I was invited to attend by sensei Chris Crews, the hosting sensei. Mr Parker gave a nice seminar, but I woudl guess during that seminar, he popped a student he was demonstrating on maybe 8-10 times pretty good. He apoligised to the student each time, but I honestly felt Mr Parkers control wasn't what it should have been for his level of expertise.

Like I said, accidents happen, and there were abou5t 100 people in attendance at this seminar. but what you're describing is lack of control on your sensei's part, or a desire by him to prove his dominance perhaps.

Me...I'd be seeking another sensei.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

In my dojo we expect Sensei to make contact when he is demonstrating techniques, but not to the point of injury. An experienced sensei should be able to demonstrate a technique effectively without hurting their students by using apropriate control. Accidents do happen, but if injuries are occurring on a regular basis I'd say it was time to say enough is enough and find another dojo.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I wouldn't accept this. I'm taken most of the times for demonstrations and I expect a decent control from sensei. It's not fair to maim your studet just to demonstrate the technique. A small contact is allowed and it all makes sense. You don't have to break my bones to make me realise the potential of the technique, you don't have to dislocate my joint to make me see how it works or kill me so the others could see how much damage a technique can inflict.

Show me the technique with a small contact and I'll understand. If not ... I'm outta there :D

Fortunatelly it didn't happen to our dojo. When it comes to combos which require me to react the technique is not as light, because it's expected I react, but still if my block or counter attack failed I wouldn't get anything broken. :karate: