• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kempo Karate?

Rich_2k3

What is the difference between kempo karate and other styles of karate?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not going to be able to help you out there much without more information. Kenpo is the same type of term as karate. It doesn't refer to any specific school or even family of schools these days. It used to be that Karate refered to martial arts from Okinawa, since that is were the term was thought up. Kenpo used to refer to Chinese martial arts but some Okinawan arts decided to use the term and more recently a guy named Ed Parker took a liking to it as well. Kenpo generally means "fist law" and karate literaly means "empty hand" so if someone says they practice kenpo karate then they are saying they practice "fist law empty hand" which is really kind of redundant in my opinion.

Still the actual style would not be called kenpo karate, it would be called something like "American Kenpo Karate" or "Ryu-kyu Kenpo". Ask a senior student or teacher of the school what style(s) they practice and where they come from and you'll get the best explanation.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.