• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi, new here, lets see how fast I get a response :)

I need to ask something that has troubled me for some time now;

Which foot steps forward when punching???

If you punch a right cross for example, which foot goes first?

I beleive it's the right one that steps forward when punching with the right arm, but I'm not certain anymore, It seems I have got better balance when I step forward with the opposite foot...

have I done it wrong? Help!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A right cross... crosses, so you would have your left foot forward.

Which foot steps forward when punching???

There are a multitude of ways of punching, but the quickest is to punch without stepping, the second quickest is to step while punching and the least (and most telegraphed) is to step before punching. As to which foot steps, depends on what strike you're implementing.

As a 'general' rule of thumb, if you are right handed, lead with the left and vice versa. Some systems reverse this and others aim for neither being the lead (i.e., wing chun). Even others, such as boxing and san soo, try to train you to workout both as a righthander and a lefthander.

To simplify, there are no set rules for stepping, other then ensuring you do not step with your heels and do not lean too far forward on the balls of your feet (ending up virtually on your toes). Stepping is committed to ensure you are centered when striking, so that you do not under or overcommit. If you have to lean back to strike, you're too close in and need to step back or to the side. If you're having to reach to strike your opponent, you need to step in or in and to the side.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

stepping can be too clumsy - think in terms of gliding or shuffling. different styles have different footwork. From the variations I've experienced, I like that of boxer/thai boxers and judoka.

when punching, don't step with the rear foot - drive off of it. whichever foot you have in in front stays there.

The punch you described is a power punch - you don't want to step forward while throwing it. you lung forward with a jab or hook to get you in range and from there, throw the cross. you can just pivot into the cross and sink your body into it, or you may slide your rear foot up as you strike, which enables some people to add more power to their cross.

Don't lead with a cross.

I assume you are new to this?

Anyways, leading with a cross is one of those general "don't do this" rules, exceptions yes, but for the most part that is a bad idea.

Lead foot always moves first when stepping forward.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I generally like to practice outdoors, or in rough terrain, and have found gliding to be detrimental under such conditions. Shuffling, not so much, but full-stepping ensures you place yourself cleanly, as opposed to tripping over variations in the terrain or short-changing yourself due to elevation changes.

Yes, this differs from standard training, but i don't expect to get into an altercation in the dojo. Regardless, i do train to glide and shuffle when indoors. Elsewise i expose myself to a sweep and provide too large a window of opportunity for other exploits.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

stepping is one of those things that while there are certain things that are true, what you do and how you do it is determined by you, what you can do and how you do things.

in wing chun, you aim to move and hit at the same time.

this is the general rule.

there will always be instances where you will want to move first then hit.

or hit then move closer.

in theory, the shuffle/slide and hit (one beat) is always better because it is the quickest, most efficient way of doing things.

BUT sometimes, (for example if the opponent is moving 'off beat', you will want to move first then hit 'half beat' later.

back to the punch/step question.

again, how you step depends almost entirely on what is going on.

you will probably want to be stepping to his offside (outside gate) to punch ove his attack.

in this case, depending on what side you step to, how you are standing, how he is standing, you will step differently.

there is no 'fixed way' of stepping and punching.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

You can lead with a cross. Skilled fighters do it all the time, it is set up like everything else with some kind of piercing attack etc jab, front kick, Then bam a lead right or left cross. It can be quite a suprise and very effective because of its unorthodox nature.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro